Scorched Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just scorched the last two batches I made.

The thing is my element looks like it is encrusted with scale, it isn't blackened.

So what's going on here?

The element is just a simple 5500 Watt 240V single loop going out and back. It doesn't even fold back on itself.

The batch sizes were around 13-14 gallons with gravities around 1.038 - 1.040 at the point of pitching.

Will a ULWD element fix this or will I still get the scale. If so, how to clean it?

If cleaning is all that is needed I suppose I don't need the ULWD element since the first couple batches came out good.

I just scorched the last two batches I made.

The thing is my element looks like it is encrusted with scale, it isn't blackened.

So what's going on here?

The element is just a simple 5500 Watt 240V single loop going out and back. It doesn't even fold back on itself.

The batch sizes were around 13-14 gallons with gravities around 1.038 - 1.040 at the point of pitching.

Will a ULWD element fix this or will I still get the scale. If so, how to clean it?

If cleaning is all that is needed I suppose I don't need the ULWD element since the first couple batches came out good.
the regular watt density elements are not really a smart choice for brewing... The surface area is much hotter... You basically have 5500w worth of heat energy packed into a small surface area.... Kind of like a torch its more likely to burn anything it comes in contact with easier... Ulwd is many times better in this application. The more surface area in the element the better to more evenly distribute the heat.

I can't think of any reason why you would want to do this other than to not have to dissasembled the rims tube, but you would have probably already done that to see that it's scorched. My rims tube is all tri clamp fittings so it's much easier to just place it in a bucket overnight.

I used a cheap 1" stainless cam lock fitting between my tee and the long pipe to disassemble and clean easily.

Back