Science experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMagee

Reaction score
My wife is back in college taking classes. One of her entry level science classes requires her to do a experiment. She told me that she wanted to do something dealing with beer so she could learn more about my hobby.

So I came up with the idea of the attenuation of yeast at different temperatures.

In a nut shell, she would make a few solutions of dry malt extract cool them to different temperatures. She would then inoculate them with the same kind of yeast (and amount) and store them, maintaining their temp. She would take readings of the gravity at set intervals and track their progress as the move towards final gravity. The general hypothesis is that warmer temps cause the yeast to work faster. In an nut shell, storing the containers are 3 temps (35F, 65F, and 80F) and taking readings 4 times a day and tracking them until FG is reached.

The parts we are having trouble with is she needs to find two outside science experiment projects (published works or works by other students) that relate to the topic. I have found several that involve pitch rate, but none that focus on temp.

So I'm looking for suggestions that might help her set up a good simple experiment. The only thing that is off limits is it must be mesurable (can't use things like taste and smell) and should be easily replicable by anyone in the class. An example they give is
"How does the amount of fertilizer affect the growth in height (cm) of plants?"

Any advice?

Back