Schwarzbier recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valtyr

Reaction score
After watching Space Balls again (gotta find some way to pass the time on ship), I decided that I need to brew a schwarzbier and call it May The Schwarzbier With You once I get home. Any input on this recipe?

Grain bill:
5# Munich malt
4# Pilsner malt
8 oz Carafa III
6 oz Chocolate malt

Hops:
1 oz Hallertaur @60 min
0.5 oz Hallertaur @ 15 min
0.5 oz Hallertaur @ 5 min

Yeast:
Some sort of German Lager yeast. Wlp 001, perhaps?

Any suggestions?

That might be too roasty but otherwise it looks good to me. Nice and simple and it hits all the points.

The name looks pretty popular. :)
I've done a couple batches with slight variations on BarleyWater's recipe that I linked, yours looks pretty close to that. They came out really well. I don't use as much roasted barley as his calls for, and I did use the WL830 (I don't think you really meant 001 did you?).

Yeah, I figured someone else had to have had the idea at some point, too. haha.

Yeah, WL830 is what I was looking for. For some reason the beer recipe app on my phone thinks 001 is their German lager yeast, so that's what I went with since I couldn't remember off hand. haha.

I'm okay with a little bit of roastiness, since this is my first of this style. It'll at least give me a starting point.

Thank you both for your input.

Back