scaling recipes and hop utilization.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaconga

Reaction score
I recently was scaling down a recipe in my Brewr app from android and it started getting funkier than I imagined with the hops. I scaled from 5 down to 1 gallon and it wanted to scale down my boil to 1.2 gallons even though I know I will need two gallons so I reset that part and the hops weren't just divided by five anymore. The program recalculated to keep the IBUs the same with the much lower boil gravity. Therefore less hops. Is that actually ideal or is hop utilization less dependant on boil gravity than my program thinks?

From what I've read and my experience justdivide the recipe to scale it down. If you have a 5g receipe and want to brew 2.5 just divide by two and go with it!

I know I will need two gallons so I reset that part and the hops weren't just divided by five anymore.

Your preboil volume is double your intended postboil volume? When you set your volume to 2 gallons, it takes into account the gravity as well. Going from 1.2 to 2 gallons is a huge difference in terms of preboil gravity (if the target postboil volume is 1 gallon) and the lower your gravity is the greater hop utilization you will have = less hops for the same IBU.

Kinda why some breweries do 90 minute boils, a little more water and time probably offset the cost of needing more hops to achieve a particular IBU

Latest posts

Back