South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SHAIV do you remember JP who owned DIY in Elgin? Last week when you missed the Mead tasting at DIY, JP bought in an outstanding Mead that was aged in a Bourbon barrel. He said it had barrel aged about a year after the initial fermentation and racking sequence. It was really special, and JP has his own bee hives to collect honey for the mead. He said if anyone wanted to contact him for recipes or suggestions, feel free to do so. I think Kevin has his contact info.

I have a new charred 5G oak keg coming in this month and was looking for something to do with it. I originally bought it to age distilled spirits, but I think I may try something like a Saison or a Mead.
You know, I was just thinking about group barrels. If you could ever get your hands on a bigger barrel, like a 20-50 gallon, I would be more than willing to buy in on a barrel and do a group fill. I know a lot of clubs do this sometime. I think it would be really cool to get multiple people to brew X amount of the same/similar beers, rack them all into the group barrel, age it, then bottle/keg off each brewer's portion. I know Morrey would be down. Someone would have to adopt the barrel and keep it for aging. I have zero room in my tiny house, my only option would be my BrewBQ shed, which is uninsulated and hot as balls in the summer, so I wouldn't be able to. But if you could, Morrey, I would be more than willing to drive my portion to Darlington for a barrel fill. Anyway, something to think about. I am definitely down for something like this.

You know, I was just thinking about group barrels. If you could ever get your hands on a bigger barrel, like a 20-50 gallon, I would be more than willing to buy in on a barrel and do a group fill. I know a lot of clubs do this sometime. I think it would be really cool to get multiple people to brew X amount of the same/similar beers, rack them all into the group barrel, age it, then bottle/keg off each brewer's portion. I know Morrey would be down. Someone would have to adopt the barrel and keep it for aging. I have zero room in my tiny house, my only option would be my BrewBQ shed, which is uninsulated and hot as balls in the summer, so I wouldn't be able to. But if you could, Morrey, I would be more than willing to drive my portion to Darlington for a barrel fill. Anyway, something to think about. I am definitely down for something like this.

I'm in for sure. If we can find a full barrel, it will take a collective effort from all of us to fill it. I can find an AC/Heat controlled space for storage here at my office. If we have a vintner's nail in the keg, don't forget the Angel's share...ok, that share would be Morrey's share but we can line thru the "Angels" part! Lets work on this!

SHAIV do you remember JP who owned DIY in Elgin? Last week when you missed the Mead tasting at DIY, JP brought in an outstanding Mead that was aged in a Bourbon barrel. He said it had barrel aged about a year after the initial fermentation and racking sequence. It was really special, and JP has his own bee hives to collect honey for the mead. He said if anyone wanted to contact him for recipes or suggestions, feel free to do so. I think Kevin has his contact info.

I have a new charred 5G oak keg coming in this month and was looking for something to do with it. I originally bought it to age distilled spirits, but I think I may try something like a Saison or a Mead.

It sounds like you might have been planning a more neutral spirit to age, but if you're into cocktails, I can't recommend barrels enough. I've got a 2L barrel I've been using exclusively for aging cocktails and boy howdy are they delicious. If it's something you're into, give this guy's barrel playlist a try.

It sounds like you might have been planning a more neutral spirit to age, but if you're into cocktails, I can't recommend barrels enough. I've got a 2L barrel I've been using exclusively for aging cocktails and boy howdy are they delicious. If it's something you're into, give this guy's barrel playlist a try.

Not supposed to say this...but say for example I know a guy who knows a guy who from time to time makes a bit of "White Dog" from soured, fermented corn mash. It is unreal (he told me) the difference that oaking the whisky makes in the final product. He told me he has a 5 liter and a 10 liter oak barrel aging now. Hummmm....I tend to be bad with names but he is a darn nice guy!

Not supposed to say this...but say for example I know a guy who knows a guy who from time to time makes a bit of "White Dog" from soured, fermented corn mash. It is unreal (he told me) the difference that oaking the whisky makes in the final product. He told me he has a 5 liter and a 10 liter oak barrel aging now. Hummmm....I tend to be bad with names but he is a darn nice guy!

Sounds like that mystery guy (Mr. Whateverhisnameis) should really make friends with a guy with a barrel...yknow like a new charred 5G oak keg thatll come in soon, like later this month perhaps.

Hypothetically of course, purely an academic exercise :D

Sounds like that mystery guy (Mr. Whateverhisnameis) should really make friends with a guy with a barrel...yknow like a new charred 5G oak keg thatll come in soon, like later this month perhaps.

Hypothetically of course, purely an academic exercise :D

Of course....:D.

I have seen several versions of the special (pseudo) Pappy van Winkle aging and blending techniques. In the video you linked, did you see that bottle had a price tag on it for $2,999? Geez I'd be so nervous drinking it that I don't think I could swallow.

Barrel aged cocktails sound awesome, but never had an opportunity to try one. They seem to be newest thing on the designer drink scene. Have you seen a bar in Cola that serves barrel aged cocktails?

I have seen several versions of the special (pseudo) Pappy van Winkle aging and blending techniques. In the video you linked, did you see that bottle had a price tag on it for $2,999? Geez I'd be so nervous drinking it that I don't think I could swallow.

Barrel aged cocktails sound awesome, but never had an opportunity to try one. They seem to be newest thing on the designer drink scene. Have you seen a bar in Cola that serves barrel aged cocktails?

I know Josh (bar manager at Motor and my neighbor :rockin:) at Motor Supply does some. He also does a lot of kegged cocktails but I know he's had some in the 2 or 5L barrels.

I know Josh (bar manager at Motor and my neighbor :rockin:) at Motor Supply does some. He also does a lot of kegged cocktails but I know he's had some in the 2 or 5L barrels.

Where is Motor Supply? Let's meet soon for a drink!

BTW....the Hoppy Wheat with fresh Lemongrass is beyond what I'd have hoped for. I'll bring you a couple of bombers next time I ride up. Going to pick up a couple of vials of Brett from Kevin next week, so if our plans can connect, will see about meeting.

Yeah man I hear you. Something doesn't seem right about having a drink that's worth more than my car.

I know Bourbon has (had?) some barrels sitting up on the bar early last year. I'm guessing they still have those drinks for sale. Nice place but pretty small and the food was pretty pricey. They did make an awfully tasty Penicillin though...

Barrels really do change the flavor in my (extremely limited) experience. I did a Manhattan a while back, aged it for about 20 days or so, and it was a totally different drink. My 2L barrel was around $60 and I'm hoping to get around 6-8 agings out of it. I figure when its done I'll set it out to pasture for a life of vinegar production.

I honestly hadn't considered that. Don't see any reason why you couldn't though!

After I get the goodness out of a barrel, obviously as posted you could try to re-char the inside. This helps to some degree, but I've found the tannins and other flavonoids from the oak are pretty well leached out. The other variable is getting those staves to fit back together properly after you remove the bands from the barrel.

Here is what I do: Take a 7/8" wood bit and enlarge the bung hole where you fill the barrel. The hole's enlargement will allow one of those French or American White oak spirals to fit right on down into the barrel. You now get a refreshed source of tannins and vanillins, plus you retain the breathability of the barrel which is key.

You won't typically be able to retrieve the wood spiral out easily after it is spent, but I thought about tying a piece of dental floss to the end of the oak spiral to see if I could get it back out next time I do this. Otherwise, they just float in the barrel and do no harm except eventually taking up room if enough collect in there.

You'll need to get a bigger stopper (bung) but any wine or beer store has a large assortment of sizes that fit into 7/8".

Where is Motor Supply? Let's meet soon for a drink!

BTW....the Hoppy Wheat with fresh Lemongrass is beyond what I'd have hoped for. I'll bring you a couple of bombers next time I ride up. Going to pick up a couple of vials of Brett from Kevin next week, so if our plans can connect, will see about meeting.

I can't wait for that! I told my old lady about your lemongrass wheat, she was salivating. Yeah man, let me know. I'll be around all week, just tied up on Monday for Eclipseageddon.

ETA: Motor Supply is in the Vista, kind of next door to Pearlz, near the intersection of Gervais and Park.

After I get the goodness out of a barrel, obviously as posted you could try to re-char the inside. This helps to some degree, but I've found the tannins and other flavonoids from the oak are pretty well leached out. The other variable is getting those staves to fit back together properly after you remove the bands from the barrel.

Here is what I do: Take a 7/8" wood bit and enlarge the bung hole where you fill the barrel. The hole's enlargement will allow one of those French or American White oak spirals to fit right on down into the barrel. You now get a refreshed source of tannins and vanillins, plus you retain the breathability of the barrel which is key.

You won't typically be able to retrieve the wood spiral out easily after it is spent, but I thought about tying a piece of dental floss to the end of the oak spiral to see if I could get it back out next time I do this. Otherwise, they just float in the barrel and do no harm except eventually taking up room if enough collect in there.

You'll need to get a bigger stopper (bung) but any wine or beer store has a large assortment of sizes that fit into 7/8".
Good thoughts, Morrey, I got a smaller (maybe 5L??) barrel last year from my brother. I've considered racking a portion of a stout in there. I know it'll get oaky pretty quickly. My thoughts are since it's only a small portion of the 5 gallon batch, I could basically over-oak a portion of it, then back blend it with the rest of the batch. I just haven't tried it because it'll be kind of trial and error.

BUT...one other thing that's kept me from doing it is the bung hole size. It's probably only a half inch or so. I've wanted to enlarge that hole so I can get a mini siphon in there or something. And really so I can just have better access to the insides. But I was wavering on how to enlarge that hole. Since it's already got roughly a half inch hole, I can't use a spade bit because it's got nothing to grab the inner pivot point. I can't use a forstner bit either for the same reason. I think a hole saw would be difficult as well for the same reasons. I guess really my only option is to get a bigger spiral bit? I think the biggest spiral bit I have is a half inch...

Good thoughts, Morrey, I got a smaller (maybe 5L??) barrel last year from my brother. I've considered racking a portion of a stout in there. I know it'll get oaky pretty quickly. My thoughts are since it's only a small portion of the 5 gallon batch, I could basically over-oak a portion of it, then back blend it with the rest of the batch. I just haven't tried it because it'll be kind of trial and error.

BUT...one other thing that's kept me from doing it is the bung hole size. It's probably only a half inch or so. I've wanted to enlarge that hole so I can get a mini siphon in there or something. And really so I can just have better access to the insides. But I was wavering on how to enlarge that hole. Since it's already got roughly a half inch hole, I can't use a spade bit because it's got nothing to grab the inner pivot point. I can't use a forstner bit either for the same reason. I think a hole saw would be difficult as well for the same reasons. I guess really my only option is to get a bigger spiral bit? I think the biggest spiral bit I have is a half inch...

A drill press would be ideal, but I only have hand drills. If you go very slowly and let the outer cutting edge of the wood bit (I used a spade) score a ring into the wood, I have been successful doing it that way. Since you don't have anywhere for the bit's center point to bite, go slowly so the bit won't wander. Last time I did this, I actually took the bit by hand scoring/marking the wood prior to chucking the bit. Even if it ends up off-center slightly, you'll still have a round hole...unless it wanders off center terribly.

I can't wait for that! I told my old lady about your lemongrass wheat, she was salivating. Yeah man, let me know. I'll be around all week, just tied up on Monday for Eclipseageddon.

ETA: Motor Supply is in the Vista, kind of next door to Pearlz, near the intersection of Gervais and Park.

How would Thursday (tentatively) sound? I'll make sure Kevin will be at DIY after you let me know. After work 5ish?

A drill press would be ideal, but I only have hand drills. If you go very slowly and let the outer cutting edge of the wood bit (I used a spade) score a ring into the wood, I have been successful doing it that way. Since you don't have anywhere for the bit's center point to bite, go slowly so the bit won't wander. Last time I did this, I actually took the bit by hand scoring/marking the wood prior to chucking the bit. Even if it ends up off-center slightly, you'll still have a round hole...unless it wanders off center terribly.

Good idea, so maybe I will use a spade bit after all. Thanks dude!

SHAIV do you remember JP who owned DIY in Elgin?

I've never been. I didn't know about it till you guys told me about it on this thread. It's like 30 minutes from my house so it's kind of far. I do want to go to one of the tasting days. Maybe the next one? When is it? Don't tell me it's on the 26th...

How would Thursday (tentatively) sound? I'll make sure Kevin will be at DIY after you let me know. After work 5ish?

I called Kevin yesterday and let him know I'd be there 4ish on Thursday. After I go by DIY, if your schedule allows, we can meet for a drink and I'll bring you a hoppy wheat with lemongrass.

I've never been. I didn't know about it till you guys told me about it on this thread. It's like 30 minutes from my house so it's kind of far. I do want to go to one of the tasting days. Maybe the next one? When is it? Don't tell me it's on the 26th...

I talked with the owner (Kevin) of DIY yesterday, and he said the monthly tasting would be on the last Sat of August so that IS the 26th.

Apple Cider. I tried a pour of apple cider at a new brew pub in Florence yesterday. The cider was 6.5% ABV so it had a light punch, but the brewer had lightly dry hopped with lemon drop hops....man 'o man, it was awesome! That light hopped nuance took a meh product and launched it right over the top.

Leading me to: I go to Alternative Beverages (Brewing Supply Megamart) occasionally which is near the airport in CLT, right across the Catawba River in Belmont. Not far from Cola up I-77. Anyway, the owner Jess is bringing in a huge truck of fresh apples (many tons) and they will press the apples onsite with his commercial apple press. Interested folks bring their own containers and fill them right off the press. I'll need some info such as campden usage, but I am in on this one for sure. The date of pressing will be either October 21 or 28, but I'll check and post back if anyone shows an interest. I know Alli said she wanted to try a cider, so maybe we can plan a trip up there and meet.

I called Kevin yesterday and let him know I'd be there 4ish on Thursday. After I go by DIY, if your schedule allows, we can meet for a drink and I'll bring you a hoppy wheat with lemongrass.

I talked with the owner (Kevin) of DIY yesterday, and he said the monthly tasting would be on the last Sat of August so that IS the 26th.
Yeah brother, that works! I'll text you next week.

Well that is supposed to be a brew day for me. I don't think I can make it

Leading me to: I go to Alternative Beverages (Brewing Supply Megamart) occasionally which is near the airport in CLT, right across the Catawba River in Belmont. Not far from Cola up I-77. Anyway, the owner Jess is bringing in a huge truck of fresh apples (many tons) and they will press the apples onsite with his commercial apple press. Interested folks bring their own containers and fill them right off the press. I'll need some info such as campden usage, but I am in on this one for sure. The date of pressing will be either October 21 or 28, but I'll check and post back if anyone shows an interest. I know Alli said she wanted to try a cider, so maybe we can plan a trip up there and meet.

I am super interested in this. I've only ever used Publix brand apple juice for my wine. I fantasize about using fresh-pressed apple juice.

The trick with fresh pressed is to be very patient

Going to DIY to taste some Homebrew. Hope to catch y'all there, but if not then maybe the next time. I am brewing an English pale ale tomorrow so it's another busy brewing weekend.

Should be there about 11:30-ish...

Going to DIY to taste some Homebrew. Hope to catch y'all there, but if not then maybe the next time. I am brewing an English pale ale tomorrow so it's another busy brewing weekend.

Should be there about 11:30-ish...

Sorry I missed the event. I had been to DIY earlier in the week and was brewing a Robust Irish Red which I like for the fall season.

How was the turnout?

I typically use frozen fruit when I fruit beers. Yesterday was a first for me. Processed about 10 pounds of fresh apricots for my brett/lacto tart saison. Ten pounds ended up being right at 7 pounds post process. Gave them a quick wash, cut a small X in the bottom of the skin, quick blanch and an ice water bath. Made the skins come off much easier. Some were being a pain in the ass though and I had to use my tomato peeler.

And good lord mother EFF the pits in these things! Such small pits and a pain to remove. Ended up just slicing the fruits in half and cutting around the pits for the most part.

Also, about halfway through I started thinking, "you know, I don't have the most sanitary work environment right now..." Screw it. After I got them processed and chopped, I vac sealed them to freeze and burst the cell walls. Figured it couldn't hurt to spray the insides of the vac bags with starsan. Maybe that won't do squat, but I know it won't hurt it. Either way, I guess there's already brett and lacto in this beer. Gonna rack the beer to the fruit either tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed on this one! Super excited for this beer.

Apricot Processing August 2017.JPG

Sorry I missed the event. I had been to DIY earlier in the week and was brewing a Robust Irish Red which I like for the fall season.

How was the turnout?

Not as many as was at the one earlier this month but there were 8-10 regulars and two other couples over about two hours. Weather was nice!

I brewed a strong bitter Sunday, using cluster hops and European ale yeast (wlp011). Hopefully my starter was up to the task of 1.052 wort, like Mayweather vs McGregor...!

I typically use frozen fruit when I fruit beers. Yesterday was a first for me. Processed about 10 pounds of fresh apricots for my brett/lacto tart saison. Ten pounds ended up being right at 7 pounds post process. Gave them a quick wash, cut a small X in the bottom of the skin, quick blanch and an ice water bath. Made the skins come off much easier. Some were being a pain in the ass though and I had to use my tomato peeler.

And good lord mother EFF the pits in these things! Such small pits and a pain to remove. Ended up just slicing the fruits in half and cutting around the pits for the most part.

Also, about halfway through I started thinking, "you know, I don't have the most sanitary work environment right now..." Screw it. After I got them processed and chopped, I vac sealed them to freeze and burst the cell walls. Figured it couldn't hurt to spray the insides of the vac bags with starsan. Maybe that won't do squat, but I know it won't hurt it. Either way, I guess there's already brett and lacto in this beer. Gonna rack the beer to the fruit either tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed on this one! Super excited for this beer.

Move over Wicked Weed, there's a new brewer in town!

Are you going to barrel age this one?

Move over Wicked Weed, there's a new brewer in town!

Are you going to barrel age this one?

Ha! Not barreling this one. But I am going to keg condition it, which is a first for me. Mike Tonsmiere (American Sour Beers, and the creator of this yeast blend) feels that brett does some of its best work under pressure. So when this one is ready I'm going to prime and condition in the keg for at least a month before I put it in the keezer. My hope is to coax some more funk out of the brett. It's pretty damn tart as is, which I'm very pleased about. But I would love to get some funk in there.

Next brew day is Labor Day. It'll be my first sacc/lacto co-pitch. Well technically the apricot beer going now is, but this will be the first one I've co-pitched and not used a blend. Gonna give the Goodbelly shots a try for the lacto. Using 644 for sacc. Going for a nice clean tart palate with hopes of turning it into a rosé sour. Still debating the fruit. But I'm thinking raspberries and a touch of tart cherries as well. We shall see!

Ha! Not barreling this one. But I am going to keg condition it, which is a first for me. Mike Tonsmiere (American Sour Beers, and the creator of this yeast blend) feels that brett does some of its best work under pressure. So when this one is ready I'm going to prime and condition in the keg for at least a month before I put it in the keezer. My hope is to coax some more funk out of the brett. It's pretty damn tart as is, which I'm very pleased about. But I would love to get some funk in there.

Next brew day is Labor Day. It'll be my first sacc/lacto co-pitch. Well technically the apricot beer going now is, but this will be the first one I've co-pitched and not used a blend. Gonna give the Goodbelly shots a try for the lacto. Using 644 for sacc. Going for a nice clean tart palate with hopes of turning it into a rosé sour. Still debating the fruit. But I'm thinking raspberries and a touch of tart cherries as well. We shall see!

Good thing about using a keg with 130 psi burst pressure...you wont worry with bottle bombs. Even if you are a tad high on the carb level from priming in keg, you can adjust the carb level once you begin serving. Another benefit of kegging is that you can sneak a sample with a picnic tap along as it matures so you don't have to open a bottle every time you sample. So you are now kegging? Keezer/kegerator?

With 644 sacch trois and 645 brett c, I am going to do an experiment soon: Do an 11G batch of juicy IPA, use 645 Brett C in once 5.5G fermenter and 644 Sacch Trois in the other. Same dry hops, etc, then compare the results. The Brett C I used (you had one) throws great pineapple notes that I really like. We shall see.

Good thing about using a keg with 130 psi burst pressure...you wont worry with bottle bombs. Even if you are a tad high on the carb level from priming in keg, you can adjust the carb level once you begin serving. Another benefit of kegging is that you can sneak a sample with a picnic tap along as it matures so you don't have to open a bottle every time you sample. So you are now kegging? Keezer/kegerator?

With 644 sacch trois and 645 brett c, I am going to do an experiment soon: Do an 11G batch of juicy IPA, use 645 Brett C in once 5.5G fermenter and 644 Sacch Trois in the other. Same dry hops, etc, then compare the results. The Brett C I used (you had one) throws great pineapple notes that I really like. We shall see.
Brother, I've been kegging since I started brewing! :mug: I've only bottled one batch (the stout you had), everything else has been kegged or bottled off the keg. I've been using a one tap converted mini fridge with a black iron pipe draft tower I built since I first started. Got a new (to me) big ass chest freezer a few months ago that I'm slowly building out as a keezer. Got my wood cut for the collar and sanded down, but haven't Waterlox'd it and assembled yet. Pretty excited to go from one tap to four! I only had one ball lock keg for years and then all of a sudden I woke up one day and had three ball locks and about 5 sankes. I'm going to turn at least one sanke into a fermenter. I may end up selling some of the others off to get some cash for other keezer stuff like taps, shanks, manifold, etc.

Your brett IPA I had was one of the best brett IPAs I've ever had. Super fruity, that beer was damn near perfect. I am anxious to compare those batches. The labor day beer I'm brewing will be the first time I've used 644. I know this is the one they initially thought was brett but has been reclassified as a wild sacc? Anything I need to know about 644 before brewing with it? I know I should treat it just like any other sacc yeast, just didn't know of any quirks or oddities I should be aware of. Cheers brother.

Brother, I've been kegging since I started brewing! :mug: I've only bottled one batch (the stout you had), everything else has been kegged or bottled off the keg. I've been using a one tap converted mini fridge with a black iron pipe draft tower I built since I first started. Got a new (to me) big ass chest freezer a few months ago that I'm slowly building out as a keezer. Got my wood cut for the collar and sanded down, but haven't Waterlox'd it and assembled yet. Pretty excited to go from one tap to four! I only had one ball lock keg for years and then all of a sudden I woke up one day and had three ball locks and about 5 sankes. I'm going to turn at least one sanke into a fermenter. I may end up selling some of the others off to get some cash for other keezer stuff like taps, shanks, manifold, etc.

Your brett IPA I had was one of the best brett IPAs I've ever had. Super fruity, that beer was damn near perfect. I am anxious to compare those batches. The labor day beer I'm brewing will be the first time I've used 644. I know this is the one they initially thought was brett but has been reclassified as a wild sacc? Anything I need to know about 644 before brewing with it? I know I should treat it just like any other sacc yeast, just didn't know of any quirks or oddities I should be aware of. Cheers brother.

Yeah, when you shared the Porter you bottled, I mistakenly assumed that bottling was your process. I love kegging and often bottle from keg with a beer gun.

This is my first time using 644....new to me. My understanding it was classified as brett brux but for some reason got reclassed as a sacch. Maybe some folks are scared of brett as they believe it will contaminate their brewery? Anyway, starters with brett yeast need long building cycles. I make 1.040 wort for a starter, use a small stir bar with the brett, and spin slowly so there is barely a dimple for a vortex. If you stir too hard and get excess O2 into the starter, you run the risk of getting vinegary acetic esters from the yeast. I have good results and let it go for a full week on stir plate prior to using in a beer. The 645 brett c takes about the same 2 week cycle to ferment out as any other sacch yeast in primary. Went right on down from 1.048 to 1.008 in normal time as a normal sacch in primary. Long story short, I think I'll treat the 644 the same way as 645 to be safe.

Yeah, when you shared the Porter you bottled, I mistakenly assumed that bottling was your process. I love kegging and often bottle from keg with a beer gun.

This is my first time using 644....new to me. My understanding it was classified as brett brux but for some reason got reclassed as a sacch. Maybe some folks are scared of brett as they believe it will contaminate their brewery? Anyway, starters with brett yeast need long building cycles. I make 1.040 wort for a starter, use a small stir bar with the brett, and spin slowly so there is barely a dimple for a vortex. If you stir too hard and get excess O2 into the starter, you run the risk of getting vinegary acetic esters from the yeast. I have good results and let it go for a full week on stir plate prior to using in a beer. The 645 brett c takes about the same 2 week cycle to ferment out as any other sacch yeast in primary. Went right on down from 1.048 to 1.008 in normal time as a normal sacch in primary. Long story short, I think I'll treat the 644 the same way as 645 to be safe.

Sounds good brother. I'm going to spin up a starter of 644 per my normal practices on Saturday. So I'll only spin it for a few days. I'll let you know how it turns out since we are attacking this one a little differently. Maybe one of us will learn something new!

Hey guys how long do y'all let your NEIPAs ferment? And how long do you dry hop for? Thanks

Hey guys how long do y'all let your NEIPAs ferment? And how long do you dry hop for? Thanks

Guess it depends on what yeast I'm using. I've used about three different strains for my NEIPAs (WLP008 being my favorite). But usually about 10 days or so.

I always dry hop at least two different times on mine. The first dry hop goes in about 2-3 days after pitching, right at high krausen (for that biotransformation mumbo-jumbo). Then I throw the second one in as the krausen drops and let that sit a few days.

NOTE: Sorry TravelingLight, I didn't see your reply when I posted.

Time in fermenter (for me) is around two weeks (standard time for all my beers) to let the yeast drop out and the off flavors to be cleaned up as the yeast finishes. Some others vary this time and I think 10 days could work.

I use Wyeast 1318 London Ale III Conan strain which is popular. This yeast goes hard and will finish in as few as 3 to 4 days. In addition to the hop used on your hot side inc boil, FO, WP and/or hop stand, I do a dry hop addition right in fermenter when gravity shows you are about 75% done. If I start at 1.050 and anticipate FG of 1.013....I may add in the biotransformation hop addition (fancy word for dry hopping during active fermentation) around 1.020 or there about. Remember if doing this, the timing will be typically on day 2 or 3 of fermentation. Depending on your dry hop method (I use a mesh tube filled with hops) you can just leave it in there until racked to keg or secondary.

My final dry hop I do in a mesh tube direct in keg. I leave it 3 or four days, then pull the strainer, cold crash and carb on CO2. Some folks leave the hops in for the duration of the keg but I don't like worrying I may get grassy notes from the hops.

Final thought: Don't be hop shy on this beer. In fact many call it a double IPA or DIPA. BUT, the way the hops are added later in the cool side yields a smooth, juicy beer and you'll not realize how much hops are used. My go to recipe uses 13 ounces of a blend of Galaxy/Citra/Mosaic hops.

Latest posts

Back