South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok cool. Well this batch I guess isn't technically a neipa. We used s05 yeast so I guess it's not a neipa. Here's the kit from northern brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-SwigOfSunbeams.pdf
It says 4 week fermentation but I was thinking it might lose some hop flavor

You have 8 ounces of hops in there so it will have some nice flavors for sure from the citra. I like 05 so I'd let it ride out two weeks of fermentation and move it to keg for conditioning. If you plan to bottle you should be safe to prime and move into the bottle condition phase after 2 weeks. This beer starts at 1.070 so watch that FG carefully if you bottle.

You could dry hop right in primary a few days before you plan to rack the beer

I bet you'll have a nice beer.

Yeah I think it'll be good. Thanks guys, it was a little lower gravity but we got 5.5 gallons so after hop loss and such it should be a full 5 gallon keg. Same with my fresh hop gluten reduced session IPA (lol long name!) I'd rather have a full 5 gallon keg than to hit target gravity and get 4.5 gallons in keg

Has anyone ever used lupulin extract? Got some I'm itching to brew an IPA with. I'm going simple with the grain bill so I can really see what this stuff does!

Has anyone ever used lupulin extract? Got some I'm itching to brew an IPA with. I'm going simple with the grain bill so I can really see what this stuff does!
Kevin at DIY gave me an ounce of mosaic lupulin the other day but I haven't had a chance to use it. But my next brew day is likely another NEIPA and I'll be using it then (plus some more). When you brewing with it?

You mean hop shots? I have used those but if you mean the new lupulin powder then no

Yeah the hop shots i used was for a pliney the elder clone. It was a pretty good beer but i felt like it wasnt like in your face fresh hops which is what i normally enjoy the most. It had a high bittering and it was balanced with malts. It just had that double ipa flavor that im not a huge fan of. That was probably not the best description of the hop shots though there was too much going on in that recipe to tell it was even there

By the way my favorite beer right now is nu school ipa by southern tier. I guess i like light colored pale hop water lol

Hi all - I just ran across this thread and wanted to join in. I have been brewing since 2012 and I'm glad to see some fellow homebrewers in the area. I've looked at the palmetto state brewers group and wanted to see if there were any other groups in the area. I scanned a few pages of this thread but holy cow - 49 pages is a beast.

On another note, I currently have a nice Vienna Lager on tap and a poor excuse for an english mild. There is a mean baltic porter in primary as well but it will not see a tap for another 4-6 months.

Hi all - I just ran across this thread and wanted to join in. I have been brewing since 2012 and I'm glad to see some fellow homebrewers in the area. I've looked at the palmetto state brewers group and wanted to see if there were any other groups in the area. I scanned a few pages of this thread but holy cow - 49 pages is a beast.

On another note, I currently have a nice Vienna Lager on tap and a poor excuse for an english mild. There is a mean baltic porter in primary as well but it will not see a tap for another 4-6 months.

Welcome to the family, brother! Are you in the midlands area? Quite a few of us are, with a couple representing the Pee Dee and the Sumter area. I actually just recently joined Palmetto Homebrewers (if for no other reason than the 10% discount at DIY!). Don't know of any others around here. But I'm always open to an "informal" club, for lack of a better term.

Many thanks! I'm in Lexington (White Knoll) area. I may join the Palmetto Homebrewers at some point. Lately I've been trying to do at least one brew a month and I always welcome fellow homebrewers (or homebrew drinkers) to join. I have a 25 gallon boil kettle so I'm game for group brews as well!

Many thanks! I'm in Lexington (White Knoll) area. I may join the Palmetto Homebrewers at some point. Lately I've been trying to do at least one brew a month and I always welcome fellow homebrewers (or homebrew drinkers) to join. I have a 25 gallon boil kettle so I'm game for group brews as well!

Sounds like a good time! We should definitely organize a brew rally or something. That could be fun.

Do you every make it out to (or are you aware of) the monthly bottle shares/tastings at DIY out on Two Notch? It's the last Saturday (I think?) of every month. I haven't been but Morrey and a few guys in here have been some.

Morrey! Where you at brother! Haven't talked to you in a while...making sure you're still with us!

Sounds like a good time! We should definitely organize a brew rally or something. That could be fun.

Do you every make it out to (or are you aware of) the monthly bottle shares/tastings at DIY out on Two Notch? It's the last Saturday (I think?) of every month. I haven't been but Morrey and a few guys in here have been some.

Morrey! Where you at brother! Haven't talked to you in a while...making sure you're still with us!

You are correct, sir! Last Saturday of each month, though Kevin (owner/operator) may change it up occasionally. Keep track on social media for the schedule.

I may need to ask him if we can have a common theme sometimes like a pale ale day or a brown ale day. That may be a cool wrinkle to try.

Would love to have you out, grandetacos! It usually kicks off about 11am and runs a couple hours or so.

Sweet deal- well I'll give a heads up on my next planned brew day. I'm currently debating between brewing a pale ale or a stout. I was not aware of the DIY event but will keep it in mind! Many thanks for the heads up!

You are correct, sir! Last Saturday of each month, though Kevin (owner/operator) may change it up occasionally. Keep track on social media for the schedule.

I may need to ask him if we can have a common theme sometimes like a pale ale day or a brown ale day. That may be a cool wrinkle to try.

Would love to have you out, grandetacos! It usually kicks off about 11am and runs a couple hours or so.

So I didn't realize DIY existed - it hadn't shown up in any of my googling. Does anyone know if they sell bulk base malt (50/55lb)? Looks like their website isn't up.

I hope to make it to the next Saturday event!

So I didn't realize DIY existed - it hadn't shown up in any of my googling. Does anyone know if they sell bulk base malt (50/55lb)? Looks like their website isn't up.

I hope to make it to the next Saturday event!

Welcome grandetacos! DIY's owner Kevin is a darn fine brewer and a great resource for brewing feedback. I do buy bulk grains from him and the prices are reasonable. He offers 10% discounts for veterans or active duty military, plus the same discount if you are a club member as Travelinglight mentions.

Please plan on visiting as we try to go especially on the last Sat of the month (typically) for a bottle share and tasting as Catdaddy66 mentioned too.

Hanging in there! Busy readying deer stands and getting tailgate gear together for the game against KY this Sat. Go Cocks!

Got a Black Lager moving into keg this weekend. It looks robust but has a very surprising light body mouthfeel. Subtle notes from the Blackprinz (de-bittered) makes this beer a homerun. Looks like it may be ready for a bottle share at DIY end of Nov.

14G SS uni tank (ordered back in June) is due to ship next week. Glycol chilled and will allow me to carb in tank and pressure transfer (O2 free) into keg. New chapter of brewing for me.

All good...talk soon!

Hey man. Welcome! I am near the white knoll area. I also went to white knoll many moons ago lol me and healey both went there and still live in the area but closer to highway 1. That would be awesome to do a group brew! If we could agree on a recipe that is. Lol. I just tasted my gluten free session ale the other day that had homegrown hops only

Hanging in there! Busy readying deer stands and getting tailgate gear together for the game against KY this Sat. Go Cocks!

Got a Black Lager moving into keg this weekend. It looks robust but has a very surprising light body mouthfeel. Subtle notes from the Blackprinz (de-bittered) makes this beer a homerun. Looks like it may be ready for a bottle share at DIY end of Nov.

14G SS uni tank (ordered back in June) is due to ship next week. Glycol chilled and will allow me to carb in tank and pressure transfer (O2 free) into keg. New chapter of brewing for me.

All good...talk soon!

Me too!!! I had no idea you came to the home games. I'm at damn near every one. We tailgate behind the Softdocs building (beside the Budweiser building). You tailgate in the same spot every game? We definitely need to get up if we aren't too far apart! And we always do a pretty solid bottle share at least one tailgate.

Me too!!! I had no idea you came to the home games. I'm at damn near every one. We tailgate behind the Softdocs building (beside the Budweiser building). You tailgate in the same spot every game? We definitely need to get up if we aren't too far apart! And we always do a pretty solid bottle share at least one tailgate.

Yeah man! My buddy bought a spot in College Park right by the Cock-a-Booses and we go to most all home games parking there. If you have a chance to text me, bring your wife and I'll meet you at the gate with a visitors pass so y'all can visit.

Hey man. Welcome! I am near the white knoll area. I also went to white knoll many moons ago lol me and healey both went there and still live in the area but closer to highway 1. That would be awesome to do a group brew! If we could agree on a recipe that is. Lol. I just tasted my gluten free session ale the other day that had homegrown hops only

Many thanks. I am close to highway 6 - we will have to get together for a beer swap! I started some hops in the back yard this year. I will need to put up a taller post for them to climb next year.

All good...talk soon!

Black lager sounds epic but a 14 gallon SS with glycol is even better. :)

Many thanks. I am close to highway 6 - we will have to get together for a beer swap! I started some hops in the back yard this year. I will need to put up a taller post for them to climb next year.

Yeah man sounds good. What variety of hops you growing? Did you get any this year?

Yeah man! My buddy bought a spot in College Park right by the Cock-a-Booses and we go to most all home games parking there. If you have a chance to text me, bring your wife and I'll meet you at the gate with a visitors pass so y'all can visit.

Will do brother. If I can't make it by there this week, I'll definitely get by before we get too deep in the season. Man I'm pumped for this weekend. Didn't have many night games last year and we owe Kentucky a couple ass whoopins!

Yeah man sounds good. What variety of hops you growing? Did you get any this year?

I planted cascade and Columbus. Unfortunately none of the Columbus made it. My cascade did well but I didn't really get many hops out of them.

Me three! Have missed very few games in Williams Brice in nearly 20 years. My brother and I park in the parking lot near Conquest brewing. Always try to get a pint before or after the game... sometimes before AND after the game! We usually sit in the south end zone, section 901.

Go Cocks!!!

Me three! Have missed very few games in Williams Brice in nearly 20 years. My brother and I park in the parking lot near Conquest brewing. Always try to get a pint before or after the game... sometimes before AND after the game! We usually sit in the south end zone, section 901.

Go Cocks!!!

Man I haven't been to a game in a long time (due to having 3 kids) but sounds like a good occasion for a homebrew!

Go Cocks!!!

Not too far from me at all! You'll have to swing by when we have our bottle share tailgate.

Not sure where everyone is getting propane refills but Southern Flame Propane has the cheapest propane refill that I have been able to find and they sell local honey too. I'm hoping to do a mead soon and I've seen local honey at Bet Mar and Southern Flame.

Not sure where everyone is getting propane refills but Southern Flame Propane has the cheapest propane refill that I have been able to find and they sell local honey too. I'm hoping to do a mead soon and I've seen local honey at Bet Mar and Southern Flame.

I do propane exchange ad wal mart by my house. Its like 14$

Also i just ordered an oz of mosaic and simcoe lupulin powder shipped for less than four dollars. I got a ten dollar gift card for filling out a survey for my insurance plan lol sweet!

What are they charging for fills? I typically do exchanges for around $20 because it's convenient. But I would love to find cheaper. I prefer to do fills over exchanges for obvious reasons. But there isn't anywhere super close to me that does fills.

What are they charging for fills? I typically do exchanges for around $20 because it's convenient. But I would love to find cheaper. I prefer to do fills over exchanges for obvious reasons. But there isn't anywhere super close to me that does fills.

It's $16 to refill from empty. $.80/lb. they are near the flea market on highway 1

I other news, my first attempt at a lacto (Goodbelly) + sacc (644) copitch is not going well. I only added 0.5 oz saaz (for 2.8 IBUs) but apparently that's too much for the lacto! I thought I would be fine if I stayed under 4. But it's been 13 days and the ph is only at 3.64. Not sour enough for me!

Uggghhh!!! Now my only viable option, really, is to brew a small batch with no hops, sour it as much as possible with Goodbelly, then blend the two. Looks like I'll be doing an extract beer for the first time in a looooooong time!

I other news, my first attempt at a lacto (Goodbelly) + sacc (644) copitch is not going well. I only added 0.5 oz saaz (for 2.8 IBUs) but apparently that's too much for the lacto! I thought I would be fine if I stayed under 4. But it's been 13 days and the ph is only at 3.64. Not sour enough for me!

Uggghhh!!! Now my only viable option, really, is to brew a small batch with no hops, sour it as much as possible with Goodbelly, then blend the two. Looks like I'll be doing an extract beer for the first time in a looooooong time!

How long are you planning to spur the unhopped wort with the lacto before blending? I've never done a sour but it's on the list

How long are you planning to spur the unhopped wort with the lacto before blending? I've never done a sour but it's on the list
As long as it takes. I've always used a commercial strain in the past (OYL-605) and the last time I used that it took about 19 hours to drop to 3.2ish. But I'm using Goodbelly probiotic shots on this one. I'm hoping it'll drop that low in a couple days. Once it drops to where I want it, I'll blend it with the main beer and toss in a pack of 05 to finish fermenting out the new beer. I'm so pissed that I made this mistake. But at least I can (hopefully) remedy it with an easy extract beer so I don't have to do a full on AG brew day for 2 gallons of beer.

Latest posts

Back