Saving Brett Yeast Starter after dropping glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoWBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Rye Saison recipe yesterday that I was planning on doing a primary fermentation with the brett bruxellensis wlp 650. Unfortunately, my glass carboy full of wort broke when it slipped out of my hands.

I have the starter on a stir plate with a temp controller at 90F. I won't be able to brew again for another week at least. Can I cold crash and save the starter or should I just start over?

Sorry to hear about your loss. Just throw it in the fridge, it will be fine for a few months.

I sometimes make my starters a week or so in advance and cold crash prior to brewing. Good luck!

I wasn't sure about the lacto and pedio. Will they be ok as well or will just the Brett survive?

There is no lacto/pedio in wlp650 its just brett. Chad Y. of Crooked Stave generally recommends not to store brett at fridge temps, leads to high kill off. I store most of my brett slurries in my basement about 60f for me.

All that being said one week in the fridge should be fine. Don't forget brett can have long growth phases 5-7 days.

There is no lacto/pedio in wlp650 its just brett. Chad Y. of Crooked Stave generally recommends not to store brett at fridge temps, leads to high kill off. I store most of my brett slurries in my basement about 60f for me.

All that being said one week in the fridge should be fine. Don't forget brett can have long growth phases 5-7 days.

This is my first attempt at a sour. I was planning on using WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend, but my homebrew shop was out (in spite of it being in inventory on their website). I had to make a last minute decision on the WLP 650. Is it even worth brewing this or should I dump and wait on the WLP670?

Back