Saved my first trub...question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Saved a sample of the trub from my first wheat beer. Beer tastes great BTW after 1 week in primary. Anyways I put the yeast into a tuppaware thing and put it in the frig. Should I leave it in the fridge or move to the freezer since im not going to use it for a couple weeks?

Did i possibly ruin the yeast by not sterizing the tuppeware first?

Thanks

I would say dump it since:
1. The yeast wasn't washed and is in there with all the trub and yeast poop
2. The container wasn't at least sanitized
3. You plan on keeping it a few weeks before using

Those are serious variables is yeast world. But, you could hang on to it, smell it like 2 days before brewing (you don't want rotten meat smell), wash the yeast then make a starter. But that is a lot of work for some if-ey yeast.

I would say grap a new pack for the next batch. Just wash the yeast and use a sterilized container next time. I'm just learning myself, it is these little stupid thinks that seperate good beer from great beer.

Cheers,
Matt

When I saved my yeast I would mix in some clean water, swirl it to mix it all up and put it in a large container. It separates within 20 minutes or so. The heavier trub settled to the bottom while the lighter yeast is on the top. I poured off the top and let that settle to retain the yeast. Throw away the bottom settlings. Don't put in the freezer as you will kill the yeast. To be safe sanitze the container that it will be in while it stores in the refrigerator.

Never freeze yeast. Ale yeasts do not form spores well, so freezing will kill it.

Toss this batch, read about washing yeast and start over.

Back