Santa Fe, Escondito, Carlsbad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
I'm heading out there for a trip in November and wondering what some of the great, don't miss breweries are in this area? I know Stone is in Escondito, but what else do I need to check out?

Assuming you mean Escondido, CA and Carlsbad, CA:

Personally, I wouldn't really recommend Stone although I see why people feel the need to go there. I went once and have never felt the need to go back. They have an incredibly nice place but the beer is not the cheapest. It has a very nice restaurant and outdoor area but pretty expensive.

Not sure how far you're willing to go out of your way, since a lot of "great, don't miss" breweries are not in north county, but I like the following:

Modern Times - Just opened up a taphouse in Encinitas (my favorite brewery in San Diego, it's worth it to go down to Point Loma if necessary)
The Lost Abbey (and also Port Brewing) - San Marcos
Raging Cider & Mead, Co - San Marcos (locally sourced apples/fruit, etc. with wild fermentation - excellent place for traditional style cider)
Burgeon Beer Company - Carlsbad
Rip Current Brewing - San Marcos
Belching Beaver - (They're all over the place in San Diego now but there are two in Vista)
For what it's worth, Pizza Port has really good beer and you can get pitchers for decent prices. The food can be a little on the pricey side and the place can be a zoo at times with a bunch of families.

If you get down to Miramar there's always other big standards like Ballast Point, Alesmith, Green Flash, Mikkeller, but I also really like Pure Project down there too. Council Brewing in Kearny Mesa also has plenty of sour beers while Societe Brewing does great classic styles.

If you are looking for smaller places to go in north San Diego county, there are a plethora of them around Carlsbad/Vista/San Marcos that you could just try a beer or two and hop around all day...

Hope this helps, curious to see what other San Diegans think

Latest posts

Back