Sanke mashtun insulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Decided to make a keg "coozy" today....I've been losing lots of heat and my beers just aren't up to par. I used to love my igloo 10 gallon mashtun, but I'm not a fan of plastic leeching chemicals into my brew. It's made of 1000 denier cordura with a yoga mat lined with reflectix. I have a heavy duty sewing machine that made it much easier. It turned out pretty good, always room for improvement....but this is pretty bombproof. Without further ado:

P1050665.jpg

P1050667.jpg

P1050668.jpg

P1050669.jpg

P1050670.jpg

P1050671.jpg

Not really sure...got the fabric on ebay as part of a lot....they were just assorted 1/2 yards, etc. for about $30. The mat was just laying around...and the reflectix is about $16 with lots left over. Of course you'd need a sewing machine that can handle this thick of fabric. It is way overbuilt...probably could have just used reflectix and no mat...but I wanted it to have some rigidity.

There are a few odd stitches I want to fix on the top (very awkward area to sew), but it turned out pretty well for the first try. Looking forward to using it soon...if it doesn't work then the laws of physics no longer apply!

Just used it today brewing an IPA. I mashed in a little low at 140 (it was a bit chilly outside and I lost temp through my hoses) but in an hour it didn't even drop a single degree.

I think the open area above the thermometer is begging for a logo of some kind.

I made one for my HLT today too....it uses a 5500w element and I intentionally used a smaller slim quarter keg so I can mash in that much faster. This should speed things up even more :rockin:

P1050677.jpg

P1050674.jpg

So just to clarify, the insulation is reflectix, on yoga mat, covered in the denier material which is sewed up, then plus a seep at lid piece?

I agree - looks great! Might give it a try for my new sanke x3 rig.

Gregory Lee
Kamloops, BC, Canada

So just to clarify, the insulation is reflectix, on yoga mat, covered in the denier material which is sewed up, then plus a seep at lid piece?

I agree - looks great! Might give it a try for my new sanke x3 rig.

Gregory Lee
Kamloops, BC, Canada

Yep, I just hot glued the reflectix to the yoga mat so it would stay together. I made a circular pattern for the top and sewed the pieces together from the inside out. That was the hardest part, since the thick material and yoga mat didn't want to cooperate....took some manhandling.

But, what does "seep at lid piece" mean? A seam? Yes, just made the cylinder first (sewed inside out, flipped it right side out, then inserted matting) then sewed it to the top.

Latest posts

Back