Sanitizing solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
So right now I have a dish tub with about 2 gallons of water and sanitizing solution in it to clean my instruments as I progress with my brew. My question is, how long can I safely leave my solution out before the sanitizing agent wears off? Right now, it's uncovered and I have my hydrometer chilling in there. I'd hate to keep making new solution if I can just re-use what I have made.

Star-san can last a long time, especially if it's mixed with distilled water. I keep some in a jug under the sink, and will use it over and over.

With tap water, it doesn't last nearly as long. You can check the pH to see if it's still in the "safe" range, which I think is a pH under 3(?).

Remember that cleaning and sanitizing are two separate steps entirely. You just sanitize a clean item before using. A sanitizer isn't a cleaner, though. You'd need to clean it first, then sanitize. I wouldn't keep anything (especially plastic) in sanitizer for more than a few minutes, though. Star-san can make the plastic "slimy" and start breaking it down.

Iodophor can't really be saved very long- it starts losing effectiveness rapidly after being mixed.

It really depends on which sanitizer you're using, and how it's stored.

Yes I always clean everything after I use it. I'm not sure what it is, just says oxygen based cleaner

Yes I always clean everything after I use it. I'm not sure what it is, just says oxygen based cleaner

Welllllll, a cleaner is NOT a sanitizer. Also, it works on the premise of "oxygen bubbles" so it would be very short lasting even if it did sanitize. So, no, you can't save it or reuse.

I'd recommend keeping it for cleaning, and getting a sanitizer for sanitizing.

I didn't mean cleaner, I meant sanitizer. But since it's oxygen based that would make sense. What is star san?

Id bet its One-Step. One Step will last up to 1 week. In a closed, clean container in a refrigerator.

But i dont think One Step is a good choice for a sanitizer IMO.
One-step is not labeled as a sanitizer because the producer has not chosen to apply with the FDA for that designation

Yes, that is what it is. Didn't realize one step was the name of it

I've used one step in the past. It worked fine, but it's NOT meant to be saved and used again! You can make up a tiny amount when you need it but it doesn't keep. It's basically oxiclean, and great for cleaning. Remember that even though it's called "one step", cleaning and sanitizer are separate steps and must be done. There is no such thing as a one-step process.

I'd get some no-rinse sanitizer in the future, like star-san, which can be mixed up and saved and is a food safe sanitizer.

Latest posts

Back