Sanitizing party tap lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckofagator

Reaction score
New to kegging and I'm a bit confused on how I'll sanitize my lines once I'm ready to use them.

Do you normally push starsan through them, then fill the keg, and then push beer through them and leave them filled with beer like that until everything is ready to go?

I don't have my beer fridge yet, so I just filled the kegs and was just going to let them sit, sealed, until we get the fridge. It's at that time, where the party tap lines will have been sitting for a couple weeks, I'm wondering how I can push starsan through them? I hope that makes sense.

When I need to use party taps, I will fill up a sink with warm water and put the beer line and take apart the party tap and let them sit for a few min. I keep mine in the garage so this is just to get any dust that might have accumulated on them removed. I will then drain the sink and add new warm water with a little bit of star san. I will make sure star san fills up the inside of the beer line and let it sit for a min. I will then take everything out of the sink, drain and hook up to the keg.

If you won’t be using the keg often you can clean the tap and beer line after use. I use the same process as above. It only takes a few min and this will make sure your beer is always coming out of a clean tap.

I also recommend not keeping the party tap connected to the keg when not in use because they are notorious for leaking.

thanks for the thoughts. So just a quick disassembly and that will open it enough to get cleaner and starsan in the line. That's easy enough.

I usually star san the keg and purge it all through the tap before I rack my beer to the keg. This way I know everything is clean.

Just remember that if you disconnect and reconnect to clean and spray down the connections with star san so nothing gets funky.

My opinion is that sanitizing beer lines is a waste of time. I use BLC to clean the lines, and then let the beer flow. Never had an issue with it...

As always, YMMV.

Back