Sanitizing bottles with iodophor takes me forever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
So i've switched to sanitizing all my equipment using iodophor. I've found it quick and easy for sanitizing items such as equipment, pots, primaries, secondarys, etc. However I have found sanitizing bottles to be a long rigorous process.

Currently I get a 5 gallon bucket add my iodophor and water and submerge batches of bottles (6 at a time) into the bucket. Leave them for two minutes, then dry rack. This takes a long time because each batch requires to be submerged for 2 minutes.

I really want to speed this process up. At my LHBS they have a device (can't remember the name) where you put your bottles upside down and it sprays sanitizing solution into the bottle. I would like to use this with iodophor but I am not sure if this is going to completely sanitize my bottles as the instructions on the iodophor bottle clearly states the equipment must be submerged in the solution for at least two minutes.

Is there another way? I'm running out of movies to watch while I'm sanitizing my bottles!

its called a ferrari vinator, it works very well. after spritzing with sanitizer i drip-dry my wine bottles on a bottling tree (the vinator fits onto the top of the bottling tree). while not submerged, the liquid contact does exceed two minutes as it drips excess while on the tree. in winemaking however i use k-meta (not used in beermaking) or star san as sanitizers.

They don't need to be submerged for two minutes. The bottles will stay wet with a thin film of iodophor after they drain for at least two minutes.

You don't have to dunk the bottles for two minutes- they only have to stay wet for 2 minutes. So, you can dunk and drain immediately.

I like the vinator: two squirts, hang on the bottle tree, done. But you can do the same with your dunk method. Dunk, lift, drain. That's all you need to do.

The ferrari is what the have at my LHBS. If I can switch to that then it woudl cut lots of time off my process than doing the dunk thing.

Plus my girlfriend won't get annoyed with my doing the dunk as it creates a lot of "blup blup blup" sounds during the movie.

The ferrari is what the have at my LHBS. If I can switch to that then it woudl cut lots of time off my process than doing the dunk thing.

Plus my girlfriend won't get annoyed with my doing the dunk as it creates a lot of "blup blup blup" sounds during the movie.

Get her to make the blup...blub sounds dude...... you make the brew, she sanitizes the bottles. Seems fair enough to me. :ban:

Salute! :mug:

If I want to sterilize my bottles by baking at 350 for an hour, should I still rinse with Iodophor or can I just bake the bottles?

well i use StarSan so i don't know if this applies to you. i can fit way more than 6 bottles at a time in my bucket. in fact i can usually get somewhere around 12 or so. i leave the bottles in there long enough to get all 12 in then wait maybe 30 seconds or so then take them out and let them air dry. i don't bother to get all the StarSan out. haven't had an infected bottle yet.

If I want to sterilize my bottles by baking at 350 for an hour, should I still rinse with Iodophor or can I just bake the bottles?

I am no expert, but I bake my bottles to sterilize them and 350 for an hour should make just about anything sterile. No need for Iodophor.

A regular old spray bottle (mister) filled with Starsan makes quick work of bottles too. Two or three squirts coats the inside (effectively submerging it) and you can either shake the excess liquid out or not before putting beer in them.

I wash commercial bottles with oxyclean, and I hit it with a bottle brush. For used homebrew bottles I rinse them right after pouring, then when I have about twelve I soak then in oxyclean for ten or fifteen minutes, rinse, and drip dry. When they are dry I cover each one with a small piece of foil to keep dust free. It doesn't take a lot of time if you do a little at a time.
When I'm ready to bottle I put the bottles into the dishwasher without soap. I turn the heat dry on. I checked with my probe thermometer. It gets to 170F. That is enough to sanitize. I bottle directly from the dishwasher. Simple. I have nt had any problems in thirteen batches.

I wash commercial bottles with oxyclean, and I hit it with a bottle brush. For used homebrew bottles I rinse them right after pouring, then when I have about twelve I soak then in oxyclean for ten or fifteen minutes, rinse, and drip dry. When they are dry I cover each one with a small piece of foil to keep dust free. It doesn't take a lot of time if you do a little at a time.
When I'm ready to bottle I put the bottles into the dishwasher without soap. I turn the heat dry on. I checked with my probe thermometer. It gets to 170F. That is enough to sanitize. I bottle directly from the dishwasher. Simple. I have nt had any problems in thirteen batches.

I do similar to what eanmcnulty does. My bottles are almost always homebrew bottles that I rinse immediately after pouring and place in the dishwasher rack to drip dry. Then when I'm ready to bottle I just load up the dishwasher, pour a tiny bit of bleach in the bottom and let her rip (not even a full cycle either). If they are old bottles I soak them in PBW and rinse, then the dishwasher.

But I BMBF so I only do 19 bottles plus 1 growler at a time (19 bottles fit into a 4 gal alum pot perfectly, the growler is just the 'first pour').

If you put glass under 350-degree oven heat, won't the bottles start to cracks or possibly break up completely? Be careful!

Latest posts

Back