Sanitize corny keg lid release valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybershadow

Reaction score
Does anyone take apart the lid pressure release valve on corny kegs and clean and sanitize them? I did a search and I can't find anything on this. To me it makes sense to clean and sanitize it.

I remove it from the lid every time I wash and sanitize the keg. I don't disassemble the entire pressure release valve though.

I remove it from the lid every time I wash and sanitize the keg. I don't disassemble the entire pressure release valve though.

This.
Open and close the valve in some cleanser and or sanitizer in case there's some gunk in there, but I've never heard of anyone disassembling it.

I rarely disassemble the PRVs on my kegs, the less wear and tear on the plastic threads the better.
When cleaning a keg I use a 1/2" hose coupled to the kitchen faucet as it works better than the sprayer and use that to blast hot tap water through the PRV. Then I spray some Star San through it and the disassembled/cleaned posts and poppets and let it all sit while cleaning the keg carcass...

Cheers!

I just lock the valve open and put the lid in a small bucket of starsan. After a minute, then I'll work the valve while submerged.

Every 3 months, even if the keg hasn't been used, I'll unscrew it and add a light coat of keg lube to the seal. Keep it from dry rotting.

:mug:

Yes, I fully disassemble the lid PRV, as well as the gas and beer posts, and clean and sanitize them at every keg fill. It's not hard to do, so I do it even tho it's probably overkill. Just working the PRV in sanitizer should be enough.

Brew on :mug:

Back