Sanitation in bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wide

Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous thread, I'm back to brewing but my brewing area (read house) is going to be less sanitary than I would like. So I am trying to think through methods that will minimize contact with all the "stuff" I know is in the air of my house.

About bottling techniques:

-the bottling wand hanging out seems like a natural collector for airborne gunk. The only way I know of to minimize contamination is a frequent spray down with StarSan. Does anyone know of other ways to keep the wand germ free?

-Draining during transfer or during bottling brings dirty air into the pail and into contact with the beer. Any suggestions here?

Many thanks....

Homo Sapiens has been brewing beer and other booze for thousands of years.

Joseph Lister discovered antiseptics and sanitary practices in medicine only in the 1890s.

Methinks you are overthinking this. Sanitize your equipment before you start, and unless you're leaving your bottling bucket sitting there for hours before you finish bottling, you'll be fine. RDWHAHB.

Yepp, I second that thought. Also, a spritz of Starsan every once in a while on the bottling wand, tops of bottles, your hands, etc. will not hurt anyone (except my wife, for some reason she thinks I am going OCD with it during bottling).

I place a freshly laundered drying towel that I saturate with my handy star-san spritz bottle on top of my bottling bucket. It will let air through but not dust, therefore no contamination.

You're over thinking, worrying about it. If you want to give it a spritz to make you feel better, fine, but I've bottled hundred's of gallons of beer without re sanitizing the wand and never had an issue.

Latest posts

Back