SaniClean and Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello again, group.

I just setup my new copper counterflow chiller, and first did a quick clean. Then I pumped SaniClean through it for ten minutes. Afterward, I’m feeling kinda paranoid about the acid SaniClean reacting with the copper, and potentially causing oxidation or verdigris. The SaniClean was never sitting still in the chiller, and was constantly moving through. Ten minutes hopefully wasn’t too long. Afterward I disconnected everything, rotated the chiller around for a few minutes until no more liquid came out. I wouldn’t be able to tell if there’s any green-blue inside. This is the Exchilerator counterflow, and you can’t actually see the copper.

Should I rest easy, or re-clean it?

Jackson

It's very difficulty to get all the liquid out, and any pooling of leftover Saniclean inside the turns/coils may cause trouble during storage, such as formation of copper phosphate.

Maybe rinse out with plain water after the Saniclean cycle? And store as dry as it can get.

That's the process I follow with my plate chiller. I shake as much of the final water rinse out as I can, and store it dry.
When I hook it up again, I run boiling water or boiling wort through the "hot side" for 10 minutes before turning on the chilling water, in an effort to sanitize it.

Rinsing it is a good idea. After that, if you have compressed air, blow it out and that will remove almost of the water.

I should have run plain water through after the Saniclean, then, and blown some air through afterward. I can run boiling water through it, would that take care of anything I might have done inside, like oxidation or worse?

Just recirculate some warm/hot PBW or Oxiclean through. That should get all the crud out.
Then rinse with water, Starsan/SaniClean, and final good rinse out with water.

Blow air through at the end to dry it out as much as you can.

If you really want it dry, fabricate a narrow nozzle on a hairdryer to send hot air through. It may be overkill, but nothing will grow in it.

I sometimes bake my cleaned, rinsed and dried plate chiller in a 350-450F oven for an hour or so, with bread. Maybe every 10 brews, or when I think it may need it.

Back