Samuel Adams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up some Boston Lager yesterday and realized I don't buy it enough.

I know everyone has their tastes, but I think SABL is a damn good beer. I don't know if I could call it best of a style, because I don't know of anything that compares.

It is, IMO a decent, tasty, well balanced beer.

If they really loved homebrewers, they'd take off the Sam Adams signature on the glass of the bottle, so that they'd be competition-ready bottles.

/Not really that petty, just hoping Jim Koch is reading this thread and will take my suggestion to heart.

I like Boston Lager, but I'd appreciate if they gave it a diacetytl rest. Sometimes, it tastes quite buttery to me.

Not to mention the Longshot contest, which I don't know the details of, but is an awesome shout out to people producing great beer at home.

From what I understand, the Longshot competition starts out pretty much like any other competition with a bunch of regional sites. The top few from each region are sent to Boston for more tasting, and then the finalists are flown out to a convention where Jim Koch announces the winners (I think 3 winners). They scale up the winning recipes, brew a batch, and sell the 3 winning beers as a mixed six pack.

Say what you want about their beer (I think several of them are decent, not amazing) -- that's a pretty cool competition.

Good people, so-so brews. Their noble pils doesn't taste much different than your run-of-the-mill Miller High Life (don't ask how I came to this comparison). After trying almost every seasonal they released last year, I haven't been impressed with their stuff in a while.

You changed, their beer didnt, and as to the Noble Pils comment

Just weird

If they really loved homebrewers, they'd take off the Sam Adams signature on the glass of the bottle, so that they'd be competition-ready bottles.

/Not really that petty, just hoping Jim Koch is reading this thread and will take my suggestion to heart.

Note
Bottles ARE competition ready once the labels are removed.
Maybe a judge with a stick up his ass will comment on the bottle but as long as there are no lables the bottle is fine.

You changed, their beer didnt, and as to the Noble Pils comment

Just weird

Note
Bottles ARE competition ready once the labels are removed.
Maybe a judge with a stick up his ass will comment on the bottle but as long as there are no lables the bottle is fine.

Many competitions forbid bottles with raised lettering. In almost every competition, a judge cannot disqualify a beer so it would be a competition director with a stick up her ass.

noble pils is awesome! you can taste every nobil hop thats in there. BUT! you must pour into a glass and not drink from the bottle like a barbarian!

I'm on a Summer Ale kick, I love the biscuity taste and aroma and the orange peel. Inspiring.

I picked up some Boston Lager yesterday and realized I don't buy it enough.

I know everyone has their tastes, but I think SABL is a damn good beer. I don't know if I could call it best of a style, because I don't know of anything that compares.

It is, IMO a decent, tasty, well balanced beer.

Every so often I pick up a 12 pack and wonder why I don't buy it more often.

It is a damn good beer.

What guidlines are they using?

Certainly not BJCP guidlines
Page two here:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCPCompHdbk.pdf

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of that document. It is meant to provide guidance and minimum standards for competitions that will receive joint sanctioning from the AHA and the BJCP. Note that the bar for BJCP sanctioning is quite a bit lower.

That document does not represent the rules of any competition that I am aware of, including the NHC. In general, each competition promulgates its own rules and most that I have seen forbid bottles with raised lettering.

Here are a few examples:

Upper Mississippi Mashout
Bottles must be free of labels or other identifying marks.
http://www.mashout.org/content/rules.html

Mayfaire
The bottles must be made of clear, green or brown glass, and be free from labels, excessive dirt and identifying marks.
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/comps/2010Mayfaire/rules

Now I bet you can find a few competitions, including the NHC that don't prohibit bottles with identifying marks such as raised lettering. I hope you are satisfied that my claim that many competitions do forbid such bottles is accurate.

I've never been docked for a beer with raised lettering in a competition, either on the national or regional scale.

Sam Adams bottles are ubiquitous enough where I doubt it would ever be an issue and for what its worth none of those above state anything about raised lettering just identifying marks.

You got a bad/old case. I thought the same thing when my local tavern had it on tap a few months ago, but I recently tried it at another place and it was a completely different animal. It's a pilsner, so you've got that crisp flavor, but the hop aroma is very nice. Of all the hops, I really smell the Saaz the most. You're pouring it into a glass, right?

I was in the same boat. I had it at 3 different places, and it tasted horrible. Then I had it at my favorite local bar, and it was a lot better. I don't think it's as great as everyone else though. To tell you the truth, I preferred the white ale that was their seasonal spring beer.

Boston Beer makes some of the worst beer on the planet with the disgusting Cherry Wheat, which makes Budweiser 55 taste like a delight in comparison. Many of their beers are average, but the Noble Pils is awesome!

I love the cherry wheat, especially on tap! The trick is, you can't drink more than one.

I agree that Boston Beer Company is great to homebrewers, as are the large majority of brewers and breweries out there. Its fun to go to a brewery tour or sit at the bar at a brewpub and after a few questions when they see you're speaking the same lingo they are you see their mannerism change a little and they open right up.

Peter Zein from AleSmith said that craft brewers have got to treat homebrewers right, because the friends of homebrewers trust their opinions and look to them for recommendations. Every homebrewer fan is worth 5 consumers.

That's a great way to run a business imo.

I've never been docked for a beer with raised lettering in a competition, either on the national or regional scale.

Sam Adams bottles are ubiquitous enough where I doubt it would ever be an issue and for what its worth none of those above state anything about raised lettering just identifying marks.

I've judged beers in bottles with raised lettering in competitions that prohibited it. I doubt they are frequently disqualified. It is a common rule but probably not a commonly enforced one.

For the record, I do think it is a silly rule.

Back