Samuel Adams Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
I just found out Samuel Adams has beers like Dunkelweizen, Doppelbock, Kolsch, and Irish Red are these good representatives of the style of beer or are they just cheap commercial beers?

Depends on who you ask... I didn't like their Irish Red at all... I'm sure that most home brewers, that brew those styles, make better brew than SA... Besides, you have the freedom to tweak your recipe until it's something YOU like... You're not going to get that from any sold brew...

I was Wondering because I made a Kolsch and wanted to know if SA would be a good comparison and for future beers

It's a mixed bag - most of them are drinkable but not what I would call classic examples of the style. The hefeweizen isn't even close to a german wheat. It is to hefe what their lambic is to lambic. Just not right.

I would suggest researching what truly represents the style and try that... Don't see anything from Sam Adams in the BJCP styles listing... :D I would see if you could get any that are listed there first...

Most of their beers are mediocre compared to what i can brew. The only beer of theirs that I love is Boston Lager.

I tried cloning it once. I nailed the color, but didn't even come close flavor-wise.

I personally like the Dunkelweizen a lot. the Irish red isnt bad but could use a more malty flavor, but much better than killians. cant speak for the kolsch.

I just wouldn't base your perception of any style from what SA sells... Try to get something that clearly represents the style too. That way, you can get a better understanding of how it's supposed to taste, as well as one companies interpretation of it...

Of course, there's nothing that says you can't put your own spin onto the style/brew too...

I would suggest researching what truly represents the style and try that... Don't see anything from Sam Adams in the BJCP styles listing... :D I would see if you could get any that are listed there first...

I see 8 Samual Adams beers listed as classic examples in the 2008 BJCP style guidelines. That would make them one of the most heavily represented breweries in the classic examples. Did you look very hard? At all?

I've only had a few of their beers I didn't think was pretty good. The Cherry Wheat tasted like cough syrup and the Dopplebock that tasted like fingernail polish remover. I could not finish either one of them.

I see 8 Samual Adams beers listed as classic examples in the 2008 BJCP style guidelines. That would make them one of the most heavily represented breweries in the classic examples. Did you look very hard? At all?

I looked under Kolsch since that's what the OP mentioned wanting to compare with... I also used the app on my BlackBerry to see, not the site...

Personally, I wouldn't go by just one brew to fully represent a said style... You could try a dozen that are sited as being representative, but each will be different enough to notice.

I'm not a huge fan of the dunleweisse or dopplebock from Sam Adams. I didn't like the kolsch, either, but I dislike kolsch in general so no surprise there.

The Irish Red was drinkable (which for me for an Irish Red says alot) even if it wasn't great. Much better than Killians and better than Smithwicks in a bottle.

Other beers from SA that are out of the norm are black lager (really tasty), porter (mis-able), stout (OK but not great), Boston ale (similar to their flag ship, but not quite as good), imperial wit (awful), blackberry wheat (pass it by), noble pils (drinkable without being noteworthy), and imperial stout.

I love SA Imperial Stout. That's one of my favorite imperials. VERY good example of the style. My favorite SA product (and still one of my all-time favorite go to beers) is the SA Cherry Wheat. Awesome!

I didn't like the Irish Red at all.

I got the Dunkelweizen in the fall variety pack and it was pretty good. Probably my fave beer of the pack.

My buddy got the winter variety, had the Chocolate Bock...wasn't impressed with it.

BrewThruYou said:
I didn't like the Irish Red at all.

I got the Dunkelweizen in the fall variety pack and it was pretty good. Probably my fave beer of the pack.

My buddy got the winter variety, had the Chocolate Bock...wasn't impressed with it.

I forgot about the chocolate bock. I thought it was OK, but I too was disappointed. The bottle was much cooler than the beer.

...Except for
Sam Adams Light
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Sam Adams Black Lager
Sam Adams Double Bock
Sam Adams Brown Ale
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Sam Adams Triple Bock
Sam Adams Utopias

Other than that, you're spot on.

-edit- Sorry, I see you were already called out for posting misinformation.

...Except for
Sam Adams Light
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Sam Adams Black Lager
Sam Adams Double Bock
Sam Adams Brown Ale
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Sam Adams Triple Bock
Sam Adams Utopias

Other than that, you're spot on.

-edit- Sorry, I see you were already called out for posting misinformation.

Nice move Schmegly.. Never mind that I already mentioned that I only looked in ONE F'ING category... So how about you take a couple doses of chill pills and get on with things??

I USED to like SOME SA brews... Before I started brewing my own... Now, I just can't get myself to pay for it... If I was given some, I might drink it. Chances are, I'd just toss it into something I'm cooking and be done with it.

BTW, I used to like their Octoberfest brew. But the last couple of times I had it, I was seriously disappointed... Winter Lager from them just sucks ass IMO... Light beer?? WTF? Black Lager... Not after the first time I tried one...

IMO, they are given too high an opinion by too many people... It used to be more a matter of local pride drinking their stuff. But, since they shifted the majority of production to another state (Ohio I believe) that went with it.

There are PLENTY of other breweries out there that have been around a lot longer, or are recognized as making great beer.

Oh, and thinking that just ONE brewery completely represents a style is just moronic... No way to sugar-coat it...

I like their original beer (Boston Lager) and Black Lager. I find some others drinkable, and am indifferent toward yet others. I don't care too much for beer with fruit flavorings, so I'm not at all familiar with their blueberry, cherry, or etc. offerings.

Nice move Schmegly.. Never mind that I already mentioned that I only looked in ONE F'ING category... So how about you take a couple doses of chill pills and get on with things??

Okay Francis.

I USED to like SOME SA brews... Before I started brewing my own... Now, I just can't get myself to pay for it... If I was given some, I might drink it. Chances are, I'd just toss it into something I'm cooking and be done with it.

BTW, I used to like their Octoberfest brew. But the last couple of times I had it, I was seriously disappointed... Winter Lager from them just sucks ass IMO... Light beer?? WTF? Black Lager... Not after the first time I tried one...

Personal taste is totally irrelevant to the thread. The question was whether or not they represent the style well, which you disagreed with, when in fact the commonly accepted style guidelines (BJCP) include nine examples from the brand. ...Indicating that the panel responsible for maintaining these guidelines does in fact feel that some of their brews are a good example of their respective styles.

IMO, they are given too high an opinion by too many people... It used to be more a matter of local pride drinking their stuff. But, since they shifted the majority of production to another state (Ohio I believe) that went with it.

There are PLENTY of other breweries out there that have been around a lot longer, or are recognized as making great beer.

Oh, and thinking that just ONE brewery completely represents a style is just moronic... No way to sugar-coat it...

Are you calling the OP moronic for asking if SA brews represent the style well, calling me moronic for pointing out that some in fact are a good representation of their intended style, or what? I don't see anybody waving a big Boston Brewing Company flag here - just answering the OP's question and refuting misinformation.

Okay Francis.

Nobody calls me Francis. Any of you homos call me Francis and I'll kill ya!

Anyway, back to the OP... I haven't tried the SA Kölsch, but I've had several from other American craft brewers, and I have to say that none so far has tasted anything like what I drank in Köln. Mostly in the fact that they were too hoppy and some obviously had wheat. (Yes, I know wheat is allowed, but I never knew a brewery in Köln who used it.) I guessing that the SA version will also be on the higher end of the hop scale for the style.

If you want to compare to what the style should taste like, then I'd suggest buying a German imported Kölsch.

Back