Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
Anyone given it a try? I didn't even know about it until I just happened upon it at Binny's in Schaumburg, IL. I picked up a 4-pack at 12.99. Can't wait to get home and get this in the fridge.

From the Sam Adams website:

Yes, we're a little obsessed with hops. Every autumn for over twenty years, Jim Koch has traveled to one of the oldest hop-growing regions in the world, the Hallertau region of Bavaria in Germany, to hand-select Noble Bavarian hops, including the Hallertau Mittelfrueh variety. This special variety is considered to be one of the best in the world, prized for its unique taste and aroma. Samuel Adams® Hallertau Imperial Pilsner is a celebration of these extraordinary hops.
This beer is one of the hoppiest in the world, without being overly bitter. With the first sip, you will experience an explosion of some of the world's finest hops. And we mean “explosion” in a good way. Brewed as a showcase for the hops, this bold brew highlights the spicy, citrus flavors and aromas of the Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops that are abundant in the recipe. The intense hops flavor is balanced with the slight sweetness from the malt. The brew remains pleasantly well-balanced from beginning to end, due to the quality of the hops, and continues to always be, well, "hoppy," providing hop lovers with an amazing beer drinking experience.

This one-of-a-kind brew uses enormous, almost reckless, quantities of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops, 12 pounds per barrel to be exact, which give the beer an unmatched flavor dimension and complexity. To put that into perspective, a barrel of Samuel Adams Boston Lager® contains about 1 pound of hops per barrel and ordinary beers contain about 1.5 ounces per barrel.

8.8% ABV

oh man that sounds good. I'm going to have to try and get a hold of some of this.

Cheesefood said:
How often are you in Schaumburg? That's REALLY close to my home and office.

I live in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago, but my office is in Itasca, so I'm a few miles away 5 days of the week. I went to pick up a gift card for a friend's girlfriend's bday and ended up spending 45 bucks on brew. SWMBO won't mind though. I picked her up some Goose Island Harvest Ale and I picked up some Two Bros. Heavy Handed IPA. Their 2007 Hop Harvest just came out. They also had Rogue Brutal Bitter 6packs in stock, so I picked up one of those. I thought I might pick up some various Octoberfests and didn't leave with any. Oh well... there is time. Plus, Lincoln Park Octoverfest is next weekend. Might not be bad if I can handle the Chads and Trixies.

Cheese... anytime you want to take an extract brewer under your wing, I'm happy to stop on by.

jvh261 said:
I live in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago, but my office is in Itasca, so I'm a few miles away 5 days of the week. I went to pick up a gift card for a friend's girlfriend's bday and ended up spending 45 bucks on brew. SWMBO won't mind though. I picked her up some Goose Island Harvest Ale and I picked up some Two Bros. Heavy Handed IPA. Their 2007 Hop Harvest just came out. They also had Rogue Brutal Bitter 6packs in stock, so I picked up one of those. I thought I might pick up some various Octoberfests and didn't leave with any. Oh well... there is time. Plus, Lincoln Park Octoverfest is next weekend. Might not be bad if I can handle the Chads and Trixies.

Cheese... anytime you want to take an extract brewer under your wing, I'm happy to stop on by.

Me, rdwj, and possibly Rhoobarb are getting together at my place next Friday for an all-Grain session. You're welcome to join. If you're interested, PM me for details.

Sause loves him some good Pilsners. I saw this one but I couldn't force my self to buy a SA beer that is almost surely to disappoint. Please tell me I'm wrong and this is one that I should pick up.

I had one on saturday and all I tasted were hops. Its definitely on the bitter side. I'd had some snack mix, cheese n crackers, etc.... normal footbal sunday fare so figured I'd wait it out and try it again when I wasn't eating and drinking other beers throughout the day. So had one last night a few hours after dinner while watching the Saints vs. Titans game. Same thing. Pretty bitter but not extremely so. The flavor though is just all hops. Not sure of the IBUs. It is crisp and finishes a little dry but I'm not really getting the traditional Pilsner characteristics coming through. Overpowered by the bitterness of the hops. I guess I just don't like my Pilsners this heavily hopped.

Its not bad at all, but if I want a "hop explosion" i'll stick with an IPA and IIPA or an even APA with citrus hop notes (Three Floyds Alpha King is one of my favorite brews) and a more complex flavor given the price of this brew. I wouldn't say 12.99 for a 4-pack is worth it. I'd rather go for a 4-pack of DFH90 for what I'm getting at that price.

Its worth a shot if you just want to try something a little bit different and you don't mind spending a little extra cash.

Back