Salt mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Row918

Reaction score
I accidentally used salt instead of priming sugar when bottling my beer. Is there any way to save my beer?

I can't imagine a way to get the salt out of the beer.

You can re-prime with sugar and get it to carbonate. I don't know what the taste threshold is of salt in beer, so it might be alright. Maybe.

It is certainly worth trying. Worst case it tastes like salt and you dump it. Best case, you don't taste the salt or it is a minor flavor. Don't expect to win any competitions.

You likely just put in a few hours and somewhere between $25-40. How much will it cost you to prime ($2?) and let carbonate (2 weeks?). Plus maybe some extra bottle caps?

You can do what you want, but if it's palatable flat, I would at least try priming. You don't have much to lose. I'll cross my fingers for you :).

Well I just finished bottling it with the priming sugar this time. I couldn't taste much of a difference initially but I'm hopping it'll be better after 2 weeks

i remember as a kid in the 70s all the old timers used to put salt in there beer. i tried it once on a bud and it did help but it caused the carbonation to release almost as soon as the salt hit the beer. i dont know if this will destroy the head or not but id give it a chance. may turn into something nice.

That's 5-10 times the perception threshold (200-500 mg/l). It might be fine, and supposedly a little salt (sub-threshold levels, but whatever) can enhance the perception of sweetness.

I know this is a strange idea, but I wonder if you could put a piece of raw potato in the bottle. Hear me out... that's how you fix oversalted soup - putting quartered potatoes in to absorb liquid and salt. Do you think that could work?

That's 5-10 times the perception threshold (200-500 mg/l). It might be fine, and supposedly a little salt (sub-threshold levels, but whatever) can enhance the perception of sweetness.

I know this is a strange idea, but I wonder if you could put a piece of raw potato in the bottle. Hear me out... that's how you fix oversalted soup - putting quartered potatoes in to absorb liquid and salt. Do you think that could work?

Funny, being a cook for many years in my younger days, the same thought went through my mind. But no, I'd guess it wouldn't work, and will for sure cause a starch haze.

i remember as a kid in the 70s all the old timers used to put salt in there beer. i tried it once on a bud and it did help but it caused the carbonation to release almost as soon as the salt hit the beer. i dont know if this will destroy the head or not but id give it a chance. may turn into something nice.

For some reason I use to do that in Oregon with my Ranier and Henry Weinhard's back in the early 80's. I learned it from some old farmers back in the Wisconsin bars. I stopped because of peer pressure.

My dad grew up on a farm in Minnesota, used to always put a shake into his Ballantine Ale. I was mesmerized by the carbonation release. Must be a regional thing, or a habit picked up in the service during WWII.

Back then the beers actually had some bitterness. The salt would curb some of the bitterness.

Well, I opened up the beer last weekend after 2 weeks of letting the priming sugar work its magic...no go:(! The flavor of the beer was still prevalent, but unfortunately I couldn't even finish one because of the overwhelming salt presence. Oh well, gotta chalk this one up to a learning experience

I remember once cooking up a Chinese stir-fry while SWMBO was minding the kids. All went well until the end when it was time to thicken it up a bit with some cornstarch. I reached for the orange box on the shelf, shook it in and stirred. It didn't thicken. I shook in a little more - it foamed a little but still didn't thicken. After a third attempt, I looked at the box - yep, it wasn't cornstarch but baking soda. Whole dinner ruined. I've been rather obsessive about ingredients ever since; probably you will be also.

Cheers,

Could've thrown in a little lactic acid and called it a gose.

I know your tongue is firmly in cheek but I was just in Leipzig and went to three breweries there. Two of them had Gose. Neither one had any saltiness. I've seen others talk about salt being in Gose but it must just be "brewing salts" for water prep because I have high blood pressure and am on a low salt diet and I notice salt in anything! :D

My dad grew up on a farm in Minnesota, used to always put a shake into his Ballantine Ale. I was mesmerized by the carbonation release. Must be a regional thing, or a habit picked up in the service during WWII.

My father told me when he was a kid in grade school there was always a box of salt tablets sitting on the water foutains at school and they were to take a tablet when they drank from it it was sapost to be a cure for somthing. dad eats alot of salt on everything to this day kind wonder if this has somthing to do with it

Back