Saison yeast activity dropped off after short/weak fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockwise

Reaction score
I brewed on 5/24 and fermentation started after about 24 hours. There was only 1/2" krausen for about 3 days then it just died down. I heated the room up to about 80 and shook up the primary a bit to try and reinvigorate. No dice.

Should I just buy another slap pack of the same (or different) yeast and pitch again? I've read that the Wyeast 3711 is typically a BEAST and can sometimes finish fermentation quite quickly. For other saison strains I've heard they ferment in fits and starts and this causes them to take up to 6 to 8 weeks.

Here's the recipe:

Yeast: Wyeast 3711 - Saison

60 Min Boil Schedule:
1.25 lbs Pilsen Light DME (60 min)
6 lbs pilsner LME (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz pellets (55 min)
1 oz Saaz pellets (30 min)
1/2 tsp irish moss (12 min)
.5 oz Saaz pellets (5 min)

14 oz of honey (directly into primary)

Brewed: 5/24/2014

Cheers!

Swirl that baby around and give it some time at a nice warm temp.

what was your pitch rate?

Yeah, I'd check the gravity as it's probably done. 3711 is one if my favorite yeasts and it always finishes real quick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So.... there was very little krausen and air moving through the airlock. Are these items irrelevant when it comes to actual fermenting.... @ least with this yeast strain?

I'll check the gravity tomorrow.

So.... there was very little krausen and air moving through the airlock. Are these items irrelevant when it comes to actual fermenting.... @ least with this yeast strain?

I'll check the gravity tomorrow.

Airlock activity is almost meaningless, and krausen doesn't tell much either. Gravity is what tells you the state/progress of fermentation with all yeasts.

Just 1 slap pack into 5 gallons. I must admit that the wort was cooled to room temp when I pitched.

You under pitched for one. But it could just be done. Take a gravity reading. Like the above poster said that will be the only way you'll know. Activity in the airlock is meaningless. I had a beer do nothing as far as I could tell and it went from 1.100 to 1.026 in a week. The airlock looked undisturbed.

It's @ 1.006 right now! Unfortunately I didn't take an OG reading. I didn't really care too and figured I would just estimate. Tastes pretty good. Too dark for what I wanted, but that's pretty meaningless. I'm going to stick it on my higher shelf, let it settle again and wait 5 - 7 days. Take another reading to see if it drops a few more points.

I've only brewed with various ale strains and 1 hefeweizen before and they all had obvious signs of fermentation. Now I know. Can't wait to put this in my new, 2nd keg!!!!! :rockin:

Nice. Glad it worked out. The small krausen may have been due to the low pitch rate. If you save some slurry for another batch you should get a nice healthy krausen. While the airlock can be an unreliable indicator due to leaks, I think the activity in the carboy can tell you a lot. That's why I could never switch to buckets. You'll start to notice predictable stages of krausen after a while and it can guide you on timing things like dryhop timing.

It's @ 1.006 right now! Unfortunately I didn't take an OG reading. I didn't really care too and figured I would just estimate. Tastes pretty good. Too dark for what I wanted, but that's pretty meaningless. I'm going to stick it on my higher shelf, let it settle again and wait 5 - 7 days. Take another reading to see if it drops a few more points.

I've only brewed with various ale strains and 1 hefeweizen before and they all had obvious signs of fermentation. Now I know. Can't wait to put this in my new, 2nd keg!!!!! :rockin:

I'm sure it will drop some more with your simple extract bill. I did an AG SMaSH with pilsner at 149F, and it finished at 1.000.

Back