Saison ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a saison, however from the recipes and experiences I have seen, most fermentation temps seems to be anywhere from 65° to 90°. The commercial beers I am shooting for are Big Sky's Brushtail and Boulevard's Tank 7. My question for everyone is what is the best fermentation temp for this style? And if I fermented it higher or lower would it be a different style?

Thanks

That will depend heavily on the yeast. Some Saison strains do better at a lower temperature. Other strains require those insanely high temperatures. I don't know which yeast is used in either of those beers, but maybe someone else does.

Yeah, depends on the yeast.

3711 is happy at about 75F - I have a saison brewed with that just about ready (2 weeks in bottles, but it was mostly carbed after 1!) which has a good peppery yeast character, and fully dried out (1.050 to 1.002) in 3 weeks between 77 and 73F. It's happily carbed my bottles in a week at 70F, but you need the higher temps near the start (not right at the start) to get the flavor.

3724 reportedly needs 85F or so to completely dry out the beer, rather than stalling at about 1.025 or so.

Other strains I'm less sure about. The big threads on 3711 and 3724 should give you the hints you need on the temps for those strains.

Latest posts

Back