Bottling Saison a week early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee Tee

Reaction score
I pitched a French saison with Omega French saison oyl-026 on June 9th. It fermented at between 70 and 80 degrees and I wanted to bottle it today. Does higher temp range speed up fermentation and am I risking for bottle bombs by bottling it a week early?

Does higher temp range speed up fermentation

Typically, yes.

am I risking for bottle bombs by bottling it...?

Always. Unless you measure gravity twice, with a few days in between, and both readings are the same.

What's a week early? Is that what a recipe or kit instructions said? Nonsense. It's done fermenting when it's done fermenting.

Bulk conditioning is another matter. There are benefits to some beers to sit in the fermenter for a week or few after fermentation is complete. Clarity is one of the biggest. But if you skip that, fermentation having been measured and observed to be complete, the worst that will happen is more particulate in the bottle.

Higher temps do speed up fermentation (to a point). Saisons with that yeast should ferment out in 10-14 days. There is a VERY slight risk of bottle bombs, but barring infection causing more fermentation, it really should be done.

Higher temps do speed up fermentation (to a point). Saisons with that yeast should ferment out in 10-14 days. There is a VERY slight risk of bottle bombs, but barring infection causing more fermentation, it really should be done.
Thank you Lumpher. The kit says 1 month - it's been 3 weeks and there has been no signs of life. I can;'t take gravity readings so I'll just bottle it up - chances are it will be Ok, right?

Typically, yes.

Always. Unless you measure gravity twice, with a few days in between, and both readings are the same.

What's a week early? Is that what a recipe or kit instructions said? Nonsense. It's done fermenting when it's done fermenting.

Bulk conditioning is another matter. There are benefits to some beers to sit in the fermenter for a week or few after fermentation is complete. Clarity is one of the biggest. But if you skip that, fermentation having been measured and observed to be complete, the worst that will happen is more particulate in the bottle.
Thank you DB Homebrew. I can';t measure the gravity. The kit says 1 month - it's been 3 weeks at the maximum temperature the yeast likes and there has been no signs of life so I'll just bottle it up - chances are it will be Ok, right?

Funnily enough I had a sachet of this yeast in the fridge one year beyond manufacturing date.
Made a 1.030 starter 1.3 litre total and it started and built a good stirplate starter.
Currently going great guns with a 4 inch barm on my elderflower saison.
But only day 3.

Funnily enough I had a sachet of this yeast in the fridge one year beyond manufacturing date.
Made a 1.030 starter 1.3 litre total and it started and built a good stirplate starter.
Currently going great guns with a 4 inch barm on my elderflower saison.
But only day 3.
That sounds delicious..

I'm only 3 years into this hobby. And have much to learn, thus far, my most important lessons have been cleanliness, temp control and patience, in no particular order, as hard as restraint may be waiting a week to bottle can only be a benefit..finding a way to take a measurement is huge..its hard telling not knowing.

Back