Saison Adjustment, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltraHighABV

Reaction score
I'm attempting to brew a saison this weekend. Here is my current water profile:

pH 8.7
Bicarb 36.6
Ca 11
Cl 8.4
Mg 3.7
Na 13
SO4 15
Hardness (as CaCO3) 42

And here is what I am (hoping to target) for the Saison from some searching on HBT:

Bicarbonate 350
Calcium 52
Chloride 20
Mg 17
Sodium 35
Sulfates 107

It seems anything i do to take the bicarb up, will amp up Ca or Na outside of the range I want.

Do you have any reccomendations? Also, I don't understand the importance of having a high bicarb value, if we are just going to lower the mash PH with acid anyway? The bicarb value is only really a measure of alkalinity of your starting water (or your pH to put another way), so do I need to try to up the bicarb?

Thanks

From what @mabrungard says, for a Saison you want to have between 50 - 100 ppm of sulfate and a "modest" amount of everything else in your water when brewing a Saison. I would say you might want to reduce your bicarbonate.

I guess I don't really understand the purpose of targeting bicarbonate at all if we are just going to adjust the pH with acid?

I think what you were trying to do is match the residual alkalinity which is different than simply matching bicarbonate. I think the general consensus is to adjust the pH.

I am about the furthest thing from a water expert, so I would wait until mabrungard or ajdelange chime in to give you the low down.

Your tap water is a fine starting point. You might want a little more chloride and sulfate, but that is your decision. Don't target that bicarbonate content since you would just need to neutralize it with acid to bring the mash pH into a reasonable range.

Back