Saflager 34/70 temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
Went to my local HBS hoping to get a kolsch yeast, but no dice. Picked up Saflager 34/70 instead. I have no experience with this strain, so I'm torn between temps for fermentation.
I'm using the Bee Cave Kolsch recipe in the database. I can ferment at 50F in my garage or at about 65 in my basement.
I'd like to get something similar to a kolsch, so would that be the higher temp?

i would say the basement, this strain is reported to do very well at low ale temperatures. Or you could possibly do the first couple days in the garage, than move it to the basement for the rest of the time

I've been using this awesome yeast recently and ferment it in the recommended 52-59 range.
However, it can go as low as 48, so I would suggest ferment it in the garage at 50 degrees, which probably raise to the mid 50s once active fermentation starts.

I've been using this awesome yeast recently and ferment it in the recommended 52-59 range.
However, it can go as low as 48, so I would suggest ferment it in the garage at 50 degrees, which probably raise to the mid 50s once active fermentation starts.

Pitch 2 packs at garage temp. In about 10 days bring it to basement. Let it go another week there or until fg is reached.

I fermented a marzen at 66 on brulosopher's recomendación and it came out tasting clean and delicious.

that being said, if your basement is 65 ambient that would push your temp higher due to the heat generated through fermentation. so garage to start and maybe basement when fermentation is dwindling

I have a lager in full swing right now using 34/70 for the first time.What I did was:
5 days at 51
free rise to 68 for 4 days
Just started crashing to 34 and will leave it there till kegging

At day one of 68 diacetyl ( butterscotch flavor) was HUGE. After 3 days its minimal.
Do a diacetyl rest. It was overwhelming the sample and wouldn't want it in the final product

Put it in the garage. At high krausen bring it into the basement to finish. That should work beautifully.

Thanks for all the advice! Mash is going. Fermenter is ready and the yeast rehydration is about to begin. I've taken a break from brewing for 2 years. Pulled out my StarSan bucket today and it was labeled Jan 15, 2015. I remember making a new batch the last time I brewed.
Life happens. Kid activities, new job, more kid activities. Wife changed careers. Whew!
Ready to get back at it. Just had to scratch the itch tonight.

Brewed my first lager Saturday using 34/70
Fermentation started about 18 hrs in at 54° and has slowed from one bubble/ few seconds to about one per/12 sec after four days
Didnt check fg but should i start to ramp up temps slowly or let it ride?(using fridge and ferm wrap with controller)
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Brewed my first lager Saturday using 34/70
Fermentation started about 18 hrs in at 54° and has slowed from one bubble/ few seconds to about one per/12 sec after four days
Didnt check fg but should i start to ramp up temps slowly or let it ride?(using fridge and ferm wrap with controller)
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm going with the previous advice to raise the temp just after high krausen. That should be tomorrow, which is day 5 of fermentation.

Here is my ridiculously early 2 week beer.
First time lager.. First time 34/70
I'd rather drink my young beer than buy theirs...I have another 5 gallons from a split batch lagering at 32 deg the will be more in the lines of the norm

What I've noticed:
Just before carbing at a whopping 12 days I got some light buttery and the slightest slickness on the roof of the mouth. After only one day carbed at 40 psi the slickness is gone. I'm wondering if the carbing/co2 breaks up the beer a bit eliminating the slickness.
The very light buttery flavor is still there but as I never had experience with this yeast or german yeast I'm wondering if its the German profile I'm supposed to be tasting....I will say after only 2 weeks I'd drink this as a lawnmower type beer on a hot day and be more than happy...Its ugly but as a first attempt rush job I'll take it

20170216_151636_resized.jpg

Kegged my Kolsch last night. The sample I poured for the FG hydrometer reading tasted pretty good. A local brewery has a kolsch on tap. I think I'll grab a growler for a side by side comparison. This will give me an idea of what improvements I can make.

Here is my ridiculously early 2 week beer.
First time lager.. First time 34/70
I'd rather drink my young beer than buy theirs...I have another 5 gallons from a split batch lagering at 32 deg the will be more in the lines of the norm

What I've noticed:
Just before carbing at a whopping 12 days I got some light buttery and the slightest slickness on the roof of the mouth. After only one day carbed at 40 psi the slickness is gone. I'm wondering if the carbing/co2 breaks up the beer a bit eliminating the slickness.
The very light buttery flavor is still there but as I never had experience with this yeast or german yeast I'm wondering if its the German profile I'm supposed to be tasting....I will say after only 2 weeks I'd drink this as a lawnmower type beer on a hot day and be more than happy...Its ugly but as a first attempt rush job I'll take it

Sounds like you have DA. 12 days for a lager is really pushing it.

Took a little sample tonight. Even two days in the keg, the flavor is very good. All the kolsch character I was looking for. Of course, clarity is no where near what it needs to be. I'll give it a week before I consider serving to anyone. I'll definitely sneak a few more "samples" though. 😊

Racked my 34/70 lager to secondary last night, after resting at 66 for a week after fermentation.
Will gradually lower temps to around 35
Finished at 1.009, sample good, very slight buttery taste hoping that will fade after lagering for a month (if i can wait that long to bottle)!

So odd that you guys are getting a buttery taste - I've brewed with it many times and this hasn't happened to me.
Are you guys giving it a proper d-rest by holding at at least 66 degrees for a few days to clean up the butter?

7lb 12oz Pilsner
2lb Wheat malt
1.5oz Spalt 60mins
0.5oz Tettanger 10mins
1.0oz Saaz 5mins
Mash at 149F for 90mins
Boil 90mins
OG 1.050
FG 1.010

Fermentation was 5 days at 50F. Free rise to 68F.

Back