safety fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm in a little delima right now. I just bought a house and want to get a turkey fryer to do my boil outside. I found a safety fryer at lowe's on sale for $25.00. This seems like a great deal, but I don't know how well it will work.

The problem I see is it has extensions that go up the sides of the pot to keep it in place. If anyone knows what I'm talking about could these be cut off to use a larger pot? It does come with a 34 qt. aluminum pot with a spigot, But I would like to use my 50 qt.

Sorry I can't find a link with a pic anywhere.

Yeah idiots dumping in frozen turkeys have caused restrictions on fryers now and in the future. These are a safety device only and if you know how to use the thing feel free to hack saw or torch off the posts.

I don't know about cutting things off, don't see why it would hurt though, but I use this as is and it took me a while to figure out that you have to open up the propane tank and THEN turn the red knob at the beginning of the supply line. I was doing it the other way and was having all sorts of problems with it. Now that I figured that one out it works like a champ.

So you know the one I'm talking about smellysell? I suppose I'll buy it today if it's still there and see how it will work. If I don't like it I can always pack it back up and return it. I just want to make sure it has a solid stand after removing the pot side supports.

I almost brought one of them, but it never came on sale at my Lowes. Was $99. From looking at it myself, I think you could cut the sides off.

So you know the one I'm talking about smellysell? I suppose I'll buy it today if it's still there and see how it will work. If I don't like it I can always pack it back up and return it. I just want to make sure it has a solid stand after removing the pot side supports.

Yeah, I know exactly the one you're talking about. Not sure how solid it will be if you cut the top off for sure since I use it as is. I like the pot that comes with it a lot since it comes with a spigot, but I only do 5 gal batches too.

Well now I"m all antsy it won't be there when I get off work. I know I'll be kicking myself for walking past it 4-5 times.

It was gone when I got there....... #@$^#@^

Anybody know where to get one cheap?

Back