Safbrew WB-06 in an Octoberfest Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otownpyle

Reaction score
My buddy had a big #fail. He bought an Octoberfest kit in June (& another lager kit) and apparently received Safbrew WB-06 as the yeast. Being the detail oriented indifvidual he is, he of course didn't check the yeast packet.

We brewed the kit last night and went ahead and pitched this yeast into the Octoberfest wort. It's fermenting good this morning (just got a MMS w/ a pic).

Question is what procedures as far as temp would you recommend for fermentation? Room temp for a few days then cold crash?

Another question is: Have any of you don't this? What sort of flavors did it produce? Pleasurable flavors?

Wellllst Obbbbviouslyyyy & Get At Me,

I'd keep it as cool as you can, possibly low 60's. I used that yeast for my first brew and let it go at room temps(76), and after about 3 weeks in the bottle they were pretty much bananna beer. It wasn't bad just totally out of style.

That's a weissbier yeast. The hefe's it produces aren't so great, but who knows what it will do to a Marzen?

That's going to be a unique beer.

That was my thought as well.. He actually ordered a Mabach as well and received the same yeast... IDK if he was going to call the supplier and tell them they messed up his order or just roll on... I'll try to remember to keep you posted on the taste when it's ready in a few...

So they gave him the wrong yeast intentionally? I doubt that. Simple mistake. But a #Fail on his part for not paying attention. I obviously do agree w/ the RDWHAHB philosophy but sometimes you just gotta pay some damn attention. Ya know? I mean 4 months and you don't look at the ingredients you received?

Read the instructions!
UNPACK THE KIT
-- Refrigerate the yeast upon arrival
-- Locate the Kit Inventory (above) – this is the recipe for your
beer, so keep it handy
-- Doublecheck the box contents vs. the Kit Inventory
-- Contact us immediately if you have any questions or concerns!

Latest posts

Back