Safale US 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
Hello. I ordered the Dead Ringer kit from Northern Brewer in May and am just getting around to brew it. I forgot to refrigerate the yeast. It's been in may basement which is probably 67 degrees or so. Would it still be good?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As per the Yeast book:

Yeast said:
Stored at 75*F dry yeast loses about 20 percent of its viability per year. Stored under typical refrigeration temperatures of 38*F it only loses about 4 percent of its viability per year.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Not a problem. A whole packet is probably a little over-pitched anyway. Do it and don't worry.

Agree with snow veil. As long as the expiry date is still far away, you shouldn't have issues. I have used dry yeast that was laying in a draw for 2 months, fermented no problems. If you do decide to keep future yeast in the fridge, take it out and leave on the counter before you start brewing just to get the yeast to ambient room temperature.

Thanks everyone. I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon and the airlock is bubbling already.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back