Safale US-05 What's with this yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of beer are you guys making? Are you leaving any headspace at all? Are you ferementing at a low enough temperature (wort temperature, not ambient)?

I use US05 quite a bit and I've never needed a blowoff tube.

Don't get me wrong. I love US05. But I have never found fermentation overly vigorous.

What kind of beer are you guys making? Are you leaving any headspace at all? Are you ferementing at a low enough temperature (wort temperature, not ambient)?

I use US05 quite a bit and I've never needed a blowoff tube.

Don't get me wrong. I love US05. But I have never found fermentation overly vigorous.

Out of 4 beers I've brewed with US-05, three of them didn't even come close to needing a blowoff hose, and one kept spewing and spewing. Who frikkin' knows what yeast are going to do. Like I say, I'd rather just use a blowoff hose anyway, and the absolute worst case scenario is you spent an extra 30 seconds sanitizing one extra piece of equipment for no reason. Oh noes...

I only have one 05 batch under the belt. Hoppy American Wheat. Not a ton of head space. 5 gal batch, 5 gal bucket. It took 2 days to really get going the. It started coming throuh the air lock. Put on the blow off tube and it was blowing like crazy for about 5 days.

I always use a 6.5 gal bucket but I always use a blow off tube for the first week. Have never had one blow off with that much headspace, but the jug sounds like a boat motor sometimes with the US05 doing it's job. Better safe than sorry.

The stuff just ferments like crazy, so I don 't want to mop my ceiling.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I know it wasn't something I was doing.
Being how this yeast costs $ 4.95 at my LHBS (there is a a paradise tax here in San Diego) I think I'll do a little yeast washing. This was a active batch so maybe I'll save a few bucks.

Can anyone comment on the profile of the is yeas in the temp range of 59 F - 75 F? Will there be significantly different results for this yeast in the lower range of the spectrum59-65 F compared to the upper range of 68 - 75 F?

I have been wanting to try to make an ale version of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (lager) using a yeast like US-05 and I was wondering if I should set up some type of swamp cooler in order to keep this in the lower temp range. Here is my proposed recipe.

5 Gallon Size Batch
9 lbs 2-Row
0.5 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils
0.5 oz Pearl at 60 min.
1.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
1.0 oz Saaz at 5 min.
US-05 yeast
Single Infusion with Batch sparge.

Any ideas?

here is my video that i posted in the C3C thread over a month ago!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spnyj2hs5-0&feature=player_detailpage
this is safale-05

I love this video. Seeing this kind of fermentation is one of the best parts of homebrewing. Safale 05 is not the nicest-looking fermentation, however. I find the Coopers yeast makes a very soft kraeusen with very fine bubbles. The Coopers kraeusen looks like a soft foam cap, or almost like a soft mushroom top. The Safale makes very large bubbles all over the place, and it's sort of messy. But it's so fun to have a living beer fermenting. It's sort of like a science project. When the beer is done, I miss going and checking on its progress throughout each day, so it's time to brew another right away. :fro:

I'll swear by US05 any day. Fantastic yeast. Once I even went nuts and made a starter with it on a huge high gravity ale - She worked like a charm w/no detectable off-flavors

My last two batches I have used this strain because the recipe called for it. These are both 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gal. bucket W/sealed lids. About the third or fourth day this stuff blows through the airlock nothing violent or terribly messy. I've never seen this with the Danstar Notty or the Whit labs stuff.
Is it the norm for US-05?

I know, I know get a blow off tube instead of an air lock. Guaranteed!

yep, the big head in the fermenter and the vigorous fermentation are normal. use some irish moss, it will slow things down a bit.
if you think this is vigorous, try using us-05 in an american wheat! (have a mop ready for your ceiling).

Can anyone comment on the profile of the is yeas in the temp range of 59 F - 75 F? Will there be significantly different results for this yeast in the lower range of the spectrum59-65 F compared to the upper range of 68 - 75 F?

I have been wanting to try to make an ale version of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (lager) using a yeast like US-05 and I was wondering if I should set up some type of swamp cooler in order to keep this in the lower temp range. Here is my proposed recipe.

5 Gallon Size Batch
9 lbs 2-Row
0.5 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils
0.5 oz Pearl at 60 min.
1.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
1.0 oz Saaz at 5 min.
US-05 yeast
Single Infusion with Batch sparge.

Any ideas?

This recipe looks great! I might even try it myself. :mug:

As for the character of the yeast at different temp ranges I think you're pretty safe all the way through. I do a faux Pils with US-05 and have had people taste it remarking that it has none of the typical "ale" characteristics and that it has a clean German Pils taste to it. This is at temperatures at the upper end of the range, around 68-70º.

I have also fermented lower, 60-65º with no discernible difference.

Back