Safale US-05 too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello, I realize that this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted to get some more input.

I brewed an American Strong Ale with an OG of about 1.074 over the weekend and it is now bubbling away nicely in my basement. The ambient temp of my basement is about 60F. I put a few pieces of cardboard down and arranged some wood 2x4's into a platform and put my 6.5 gallon plastic Big Mouth Bubbler on it, hoping it would keep it above the temp of the concrete floor.

The fermometer reads 59/61. It showed the first signs of action after about 12 hours (maybe even sooner). After about 36 hours The yeast is swimming around and the airlock is bubbling like crazy.

My plan was to let it go for about 2 weeks at these temps and then move it up to the landing on my stairs to finish for another 2 weeks at about 65-68F ambient. My concern is that I might get some off-flavors at these lower temps. I've read that people get a peachy/apricot flavor below about 62F with this yeast. As someone who hates the flavor of peach, I am concerned that this will affect the beer too much.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

I think your ferm temps and plan sound fine given it's supposed to ferment between 59-75, according to NB. I've only had good success with the yeast. From what I've read, you're better to ferment cool in the early stages, which sounds like exactly what you've done. Enjoy and good luck!

Thank you! Every time I've used this yeast it has been great (except a batch that fermented at about 78F..yikes!) but this is the first time I've fermented at such a low temp. Typically I do it at about the 65-70 ranch.

I brewed a dry Irish stout with US-05 at 62°F to 63°F. This was the first time I noticed the peach flavor. Flavor hadn't showed up in a hoppy American amber, but now I keep the wort at 66° to 67°.

I added a teaspoon of very strong cold brewed coffee to each glass of stout to cover up the peach flavor.

With most yeasts, you only get off-flavors (or awesome fruit flavors with Belgians) at higher temperatures. I've used US-05 in the low 60s and can't remember ever getting any peachy flavors. With low temps, it may take a bit longer to finish, but it any yeast character will be much more subdued. Youll be fine

I just bottled a Cream Ale that used US-05. I kept it at 60 degrees F for the active fermentation phase (Day 0 - Day 5). This was achieved by putting my carboy in my utility sink and filling it 1/3 full with water, and then covering the carboy with an old t-shirt. Once active fermentation stopped I drained the water from the sink and allowed the temperature to rise to about 66 degrees F until Day 14, then I moved it upstairs and allowed it to condition at 70 degrees F until Day 20, and then I bottled. I detected no peach off-flavor, which should be pretty easy to detect in a Cream Ale.

Yeast, being yeast, may give different off flavors at different temperatures and then there is the differing sensitivity of the individual to add to the mix. Add in the different mineral content of the water and who knows what you will get. I have used US-05 at 62 to 64 and have never noticed any peach taste/smell from that. YMMV

I have an APA holding steady at 60* with 05. It is the first time I have got my fermentation temp to stay level and so low. Every previous batch using 05 was ~72*. I have the same fear of the peach flavors, I had not heard of them until now. Interested to see how it turns out. It is nearing a week at 60*, I was considering removing mine from the water bath tonight to let it come up a few degrees.

I've had the peachy flavor at higher temps. From reading this thread it sounds like people get it at lower temps as well.

Conclusion: Stop using US-05 unless you want an unpredictable peachy flavor.

Never had an issue from Wyeast American Ale. This is why I no longer use dry yeast. Nothing worse than drinking 2 cases of beer and almost every sip wondering what I did wrong.

I use US-05 all the time and have never detected anything like a peach ester. Considering the number of confirmed cases versus the number of people just saying they heard about it, I'm not really convinced the peach ester is a thing.

I'm not really convinced the peach ester is a thing.

Not too long ago I fermented a blonde ale using US-05 at 62°F. Normally I'd do 65°F-68°F for that strain, but this particular recipe called for 62°F, so that's what I did.

It came out VERY peachy tasting. It didn't taste bad, but it was certainly noticeable, and not at all in line with the flavor profile I was going for. I told people it was a Peach Ale. Someone likened it to Shiner Cheer, but I thought this had a much peachier flavor than even Shiner Cheer.

So yes, it's very real.

I've had the peachy flavor at higher temps. From reading this thread it sounds like people get it at lower temps as well.

Conclusion: Stop using US-05 unless you want an unpredictable peachy flavor.

Never had an issue from Wyeast American Ale. This is why I no longer use dry yeast. Nothing worse than drinking 2 cases of beer and almost every sip wondering what I did wrong.

Well like I said, I've used it many times before and never had a problem, but I also have never fermented with it below 65F. I'll just have to see how this one goes..but I won't be writing off US-05 completely..it's been satisfactory for me so far. And I'm currently very comfortable with rehydrating dry yeast..I've always (almost) gotten the desired results, if not better.

I have never heard "peach" used to describe diacetyl (normally "butterscotch"), but I wonder if its from not letting it sit on the yeast cake for long enough for a D-rest. At that temp the fermentation will start to exhibit lager like activity. At normal temps the diacetyl likely cleans itself up so quick you wouldn't notice it.

Yea my plan is to move it after a week or 2. Ill move it to the landing on my stairs which should be closer to 65-68. Ill let it sit there for the last week or so

I wonder if it might be a water related ester? I have done a couple different PA's with 05 at temps in the mid to upper 50's and never noticed any peach flavors. It surely ferments slow at lager temps but it get's the job done with a very clean finish for me. The last one I did, a 6.5% APA, took almost a month at 56* to reach final gravity, and came out really good.

Never had a problem with US-05 and a peach flavor. I just brewed a batch of Mosaic IPA and planned on fermenting at 65 degrees. Unfortunately, we just had a cold spell the last few nights (yes, Southern California can get down into the 40's overnight) and my fermenter is down to 59 degrees. Since I don't usually need a heater, I don't have one. So I either need to figure out how to raise the temperature or I will learn first hand whether it imparts a peach flavor to my beer.

I use US-05 all the time and have never detected anything like a peach ester. Considering the number of confirmed cases versus the number of people just saying they heard about it, I'm not really convinced the peach ester is a thing.

It is very real. It is a flavor that regardless of the beer profile it is very distinguishable.

I've tasted a lot of different beer from bottles that all had it. As I've mentioned before; some people don't even notice it.

I have never heard "peach" used to describe diacetyl (normally "butterscotch"), but I wonder if its from not letting it sit on the yeast cake for long enough for a D-rest. At that temp the fermentation will start to exhibit lager like activity. At normal temps the diacetyl likely cleans itself up so quick you wouldn't notice it.

Not at all. Diacetyl in low amounts is "slick" in the mouthfeel, or a bit oiliness. It leaves a bit of slickness on the teeth or tongue when in small amounts, but it's there. In larger amounts, it gets "buttery" and in huge amounts it is "butterscotch".

The weird peach flavor I get from a 62 degree fermention is an ester. It may be ethyl caprylate but I"m not sure of that.

Not at all. Diacetyl in low amounts is "slick" in the mouthfeel, or a bit oiliness. It leaves a bit of slickness on the teeth or tongue when in small amounts, but it's there. In larger amounts, it gets "buttery" and in huge amounts it is "butterscotch".

The weird peach flavor I get from a 62 degree fermention is an ester. It may be ethyl caprylate but I"m not sure of that.

It was just an idea. I am a procrastinator, so I rarely have diacetyl issues.

It is very real. It is a flavor that regardless of the beer profile it is very distinguishable.

I've tasted a lot of different beer from bottles that all had it. As I've mentioned before; some people don't even notice it.

hunter_la5 said:
It came out VERY peachy tasting. It didn't taste bad, but it was certainly noticeable, and not at all in line with the flavor profile I was going for. I told people it was a Peach Ale. Someone likened it to Shiner Cheer, but I thought this had a much peachier flavor than even Shiner Cheer.

So yes, it's very real.

Duly noted! I wonder what the other factors are. It must be more than just low temperature.

Well It sounds like you are fermenting with out a swamp cooler so the first couple or three days even if the air tmp is 60 your beer temp is higher. How much higher is a unknown but probably 2 degrees or more which is no problem in this situation. I would move the carboy or bucket after 5 days to warmer temp say 65 or so. if you are using a swamp cooler the temp of the beer will be very close to the water temp probably one degree. A lot of people ferment this yeast at 68 with no problem.:)

I've gotten peach flavors form Chico at 59-62 deg. I never raised those beers above 65 so maybe if I did a diacital rest it would had buffed out.

After 2 days at 59 degrees, I saw no airlock activity whatsoever, so I raised the temperature of the wort to 66 degrees by pumping hot water through my SS Brew Tech FTS system. Less than 8 hours after raising the temperature, the airlock is now bubbling away furiously. I will be curious to see whether I get a peach flavor from the 2 days it sat at 59 degree with little visible activity.

It has been 4 days since brew day, and it is still bubbling away steadily. The yeast is swirling in suspension and the krausen is nice and thick at this point. The fermometer reads 61F. I will probably let it go like this until the yeast settles down (hopefully around or slightly after day 7) and I will move the carboy and hopefully raise the temperature to about 65F. I will let it ride out at that for another week or 2 and then finally move it upstairs at about 68F-70F to sit for a few days before bottling.

If your basement is 60F your beer is probably warmer. Fermenting generates some heat. My stick-on thermometers usually read about 3 degrees higher than the ambient temp.

My basement thermometer reads 60F, but the fermometer (stuck on the side of my carboy) reads 61F. I know it generates heat, but I've also read that the fermometers are a fairly accurate representation of the internal temperature of the carboy.

Back