Safale-04 washing and reusing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaellifts

Reaction score
I have been using safale yeast for my last few brews. Both 04 and 05's. Yesterday after racking my beer to secondary I collected and washed the yeast and put it into my fridge to make starters with. I have heard that there is no point in reusing dry yeast just because it cost so little. (about $3 a package) Other than that is there any reason NOT to reuse dry yeast? Every little bit of savings helps.

I wash and reuse both 04 and 05. Havent had to pay for yeast all year!! No reason not to do it. Go for it!

I have been using safale yeast for my last few brews. Both 04 and 05's. Yesterday after racking my beer to secondary I collected and washed the yeast and put it into my fridge to make starters with. I have heard that there is no point in reusing dry yeast just because it cost so little. (about $3 a package) Other than that is there any reason NOT to reuse dry yeast? Every little bit of savings helps.

It used to be cheap- but I paid like $3.99 for a package of dry yeast last time so I'm rinsing and reusing it also!

You can definitely rinse/wash and reuse it. Thereafter, treat it as a liquid strain for the purposes of making starters and to figure pitching rate.

I paid around 5 last time for a packet of 05. I have been reusing the packet for my last ten batches. No issues or off flavors here...

Back