Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was some of the coolest **** I've seen. I'd love to see your notes. Do you think with some time and build up you could get a pitchable/ useful yeast strain?

That was some of the coolest **** I've seen. I'd love to see your notes. Do you think with some time and build up you could get a pitchable/ useful yeast strain?
Sure. This year I fermented 20 strains individually in 1L water bottles. From each water bottle I got 2-12oz bottles of beer. The batch was brewed as 10 gallons. 5gal went into the water bottles. The other 5gal was primaried with US05. After I bottled the first batch of isolates, I racked the 05 batch on the yeast cakes for secondary fermentation tests. I bottled them after about 6 months.

Last week I finished tasting through everything, age was about 8 months. Only dumped one that smelled like acetone. It was an isolate from Boulevard Saison-Brett.

My summary at 8 months is they are all quite similar. Some are noticeably better for head retention, some better for mouthfeel. I think most interesting was a strain harvested from wine grapes in Temecula.

I will open the second sets of bottles at 14 months.

I guess were not done yet. Drie 1 and Beersel 9 have both decided to ferment after a bit more time.

Drie 1 is going down the drain. Smells of sulphury eggs and a lumpy ball has formed:

20150214_074753_zpsr821yzqb.jpg

Beersel 9 smells good, formed no pellicle, flocculated well and a ph 4.0. It's a keeper:

beersel_9_3_zps19943223.png

It could be the same as Beersel 4, will see how similar they are later with test brewing.

Back