New Kveik isolates from TYB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
FYI

Notice from The Yeast Bay:
All of these cultures will be released for homebrew direct sale on the Beta Culture section of the website on 10/16 at 12 PM, and our goal will be to keep them continually available for the next 6-8 weeks. As usual, depending on how they do in the Beta program we'll roll out customer favorites as production products around the end of the year, available in homebrew and commercial sizes worldwide.

Framgarden Kveik - A single strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, it was isolated from source material collected from Petter Øvrebust. It exhibits a vibrant bouquet of hull melon and cantaloupe esters across a broad temperature range. This strain is well suited to any hop forward or farmhouse-inspired beers.

Attenuation: 78%-82% | Temperature Range: 80-95°F | Flocculation: Medium

Hornindal Kveik - A truly unique strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from source material collected on Terje Raftevold’s farmstead. It exhibits a beautiful bouquet of stone fruit and tropical esters across a broad temperature range and can be used across a spectrum of styles, but is well suited to any hop forward beer.

Attenuation: 77%-81% | Temperature Range: 80-95°F | Flocculation: Medium-Low

Lida Kveik - This culture is a single strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from Samuel Lien’s house culture, which he received from Hans Øen around 1980. It exhibits a fermentation profile of apricot, stone fruit and white wine grape esters, with a balanced malt character coming through on the finish. A great culture to use when a balance of malt, hop and yeast character is desired.

Attenuation: 75%-82% | Temperature Range: 80-90°F | Flocculation: Low

Midtbust Kveik - This culture is a single strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from Odd H. Midtbust’s house culture. It exhibits a cleaner fermentation character and more restrained ester profile at lower fermentation temperature, allowing the malt and hop character to shine. A slightly more expressive ester profile of will be observed at higher fermentation temperatures. Suitable for use in any style where malt and/or hop character is at the forefront of the profile.

Attenuation: 76%-80% | Temperature Range: 75-95°F | Flocculation: Low

Pakruojis Lithuanian Farmhouse - Pakruojis Lithuanian Farmhouse is a single strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus, isolated from the house culture of a famed Lithuanian brewery. Across a broad temperature range this yeast is ultra-attenuative and full of character. It will produce beer that is dry and crisp with a silky mouthfeel and a flavor profile of complex citrus fruit, along with a balanced rustic earthiness and undertones of white peppercorn. This culture is well suited for the production of saison and farmhouse-inspired beers.

Attenuation: 90%-100% | Temperature Range: 75-95°F | Flocculation: Low

Lida sounds great to use as primary fermentation for a barrel aged wild ale. I'll have to keep my eye out for some of these.

I keep seeing these as Sold Out, then not, then some are, etc.
On a side note, there an interesting conversation going on here regarding the sourcing and compensation of these cultures, along with some buy-in from Lars himself.

Do they ship worldwide?

Past experience says that the beta releases tend to be limited to the US (and its territories like Guam etc) - unlike their core strains which are manufactured at White Labs, the beta releases are done inhouse and TYB aren't so geared up to handling exports as White Labs.

Oslo is the closest I've found. Mine flocculates like crazy and leaves the beer extremely clear. The flavor profile is pretty neutral as well.
Themaltmiller.co.uk has some of the more exotic kveik strains and Oslo and it's other versions really sparked my interest. I will try it when I'm brewing again, which will be approximately in a few months.

Back