Saccharomyces boulardii and East Coast Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanjmc

Reaction score
Hello, I tried to get some East Coast Yeast in the past - home-brew size and it was a pain, had to buy it and then wait a year for it to come in stock from this one home-brew shop in Jersey. Anyway, ECY has a yeast that claims to be Saccharomyces boulardii, ECY03B, which seems to be the same species of yeast as what is in 'probiotic' supplements. Theirs is from a Saison producer. Anyone tried this stuff? I'm interested in anything I can tout as being 'healthy' in the beer I'm making. I typically brew saisons with low IBU and have been using as my 'house' strain something I grew up from bottle dregs of Off Color's Apex Predator many years ago and believe it is Wyesat 3726, rustic farmhouse, it's one of those "var. diastaticus" strains as they classify it now. I have some kind of sensitivity to most beer/yeast, they make me very hungover except Belgian/French type of stuff and I think the root is this "var. diastaticus" thing where the yeast is doing something different.

Bootleg Biology also sell a boulardii as "Chardonnay". Worth noting that it's no longer regarded as a separate species, it's now treated as a saison/wine-type cerevisiae that doesn't metabolise galactose.

Bootleg Biology also sell a boulardii as "Chardonnay". Worth noting that it's no longer regarded as a separate species, it's now treated as a saison/wine-type cerevisiae that doesn't metabolise galactose.
Thanks Mr. British Person whose name was hijacked. I'm going to order some of the Chardonnay. I also wrote to Nick I at TYB and he said that a brewery hired them to isolate some strains and brewed a beer that was good, but that he does not have further plans. (Perhaps that brewery is gong to maintain their culture?). I'm itching to ask them who it is so I can approach them directly but think I'll brew with the Chardonnay first to get something to offer to the conversation when I reach out...

You seem to be knowledgeable and interested in yeasts? How did you know about the not metabolizing galactose characteristic?

Pontes et al published a paper a couple of weeks ago that sequenced the type strains of most of the "secondary" Saccharomyces species to figure out how they fitted into the main yeast family tree. The original S. boulardii, YJS 5879, originally came from a lychee in Vietnam but in reality it's just another wine yeast, quite closely related to eg BM45. So I'd assume it's probably POF+ and killer.

That Spanish paper comparing it with S-04 (or "SF-04"?!? as they call it) is ... a bit weird, and kinda misses the point to my eyes.

Going to try to order some Bootleg Biology Chardonnay and RVA 263 to try these out.

Pontes et al published a paper a couple of weeks ago that sequenced the type strains of most of the "secondary" Saccharomyces species to figure out how they fitted into the main yeast family tree. The original S. boulardii, YJS 5879, originally came from a lychee in Vietnam but in reality it's just another wine yeast, quite closely related to eg BM45. So I'd assume it's probably POF+ and killer.

That Spanish paper comparing it with S-04 (or "SF-04"?!? as they call it) is ... a bit weird, and kinda misses the point to my eyes.

The folks at RVA said they don't know if what they have is Boulardii. I received the BB Chardonnay, will give it a go. Seems like we can't assume that a strain is POF+ and killer until we put it to the test. Killer or not, but would love if it has the POF+ flavor characteristics.

Back