S04 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeeter McCluskey

Reaction score
i have never used this before but im gonna try it....if i let it ferment as far as it will go will my bottle carbing work the same as say EC1118?
thanks.

Used S-04 in a cider one year. Fermented well, carbonated perfectly. No issues. Tends to leave a couple points- FG around 1.002-1.006, and a little more apple character.
Past two years have used Denny's favorite 50 after he posted that he believes it's a perfect cider yeast. Also works well, but better than S-04? Haven't decided, so probably not.

I have settled on S04 and S05 for cider from FAJC. 1.060 to 1.065 OG with no added nutrient. Aerate only at pitch almost always stops at 1.004 to 1.008.

Yep, as above. I used SO4 last year and found it finished primary very quickly (from 1.055 to 1.002 in two weeks with very turbulent activity). Compact lees made it easy to transfer to secondary where it remained at 1.002 for a month. Added FAJC to 1.004 for bottling which resulted in nice petillant carbonation.

Best result was Apple/Cherry Cider (70% mixed apples, 20%Pears, 10% Cherries) which scored 48/50 and First Prize at the Rural Show.

I have used WLP775 and WLP002 this year for comparison... so far so good, with WLP002 showing more sweetness and compact lees after three months.

Well I used one 11.5 gram packet in 4 gal of fresh cider added sugar and nutes....its been about 16hrs got about a 1/2inch Krausen and a bubble every 1.5 min.....doesn't seem very vigorous?

With a krausen as mentioned and additional nutrients. It is very likely a good healthy fermentation. I suspect you have a leak and not all the CO2 is moving out through the airlock. Bubble rate on an airlock in my expierience is not a very good indicator. If you are really concerned check the gravity.

Back