S.G. when racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean it's been sitting in primary for 8 days today. Starting gravity was about 1.086 and current specific gravity just now is about 1.020. Airlock is still bubbling pretty good. It's been sitting at 23 degrees Celsius (73,5 F).
This is technically not a kit as I bought all the ingredients separately, and did not include grape skins. So I guess somewhere between 7-10 days in primary is sufficient? Could I rack to secondary today, or should I wait until it's closer to 1.010 S.G.? Is there any benefits to leaving it in the primary for 14 days? Or to leave it until fermentation stops completely?

I read different things online and get a little confused, but what people seem to agree on is that cheaper kits with no skins should do 5-7 or 7-10 days in primary, whereas more expensive premium kits that include grape skins should stay in primary for 2-3 weeks before being racked to secondary.

I have been using Mangrove Jack's CR51 wine yeast, don't know if that's important to know, but hey... now you know.

I could use some clarification :D

Appreciate the help!

It sure seems to be going slow. I’d give it a little stir, and rack when it’s closer to 1.000. Usually it’s ready in 5 days or so, but it could be that the fermentation temperature is low, causing it to be slow, or it’s got a lot of c02 in it (co2 is a product of fermentation, but it’s poisonous to yeast).
And no, expensive kits do NOT stay in primary for 3 weeks!

It sure seems to be going slow. I’d give it a little stir, and rack when it’s closer to 1.000. Usually it’s ready in 5 days or so, but it could be that the fermentation temperature is low, causing it to be slow, or it’s got a lot of c02 in it (co2 is a product of fermentation, but it’s poisonous to yeast).
And no, expensive kits do NOT stay in primary for 3 weeks!
I also think its a little slow considering the other posts saying theirs completed in 5-6 days. Can the fact that I have been stirring too gently be a reason why, which results in more CO2 in the wine? That I need to stir a little more vigorously to release more CO2? That, in addition to too low temperature maybe?

I'll leave it for another couple of days and see how we're doing, and I'll try to stir a little more to release more of the CO2 trapped in the wine.

BTW, will upping the temperature at this point help it finish? Like if I now set the temperature to 24 instead?

Back