Topping up secondary with dissolved sugar solution without affecting original gravity (O.G.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatchIce9

Reaction score
Let's say I'm making a gallon of blackberry wine. When I start the primary fermentation the O.G. is 1.090, and I know from past experience with my blackberry wine recipe it will ferment down to dryness at 0.990. After 5-7 days the specific gravity in primary has fallen to 1.010, so I rack it off into a sterilised secondary demijon. Let's say, however, that the level in the secondary demijon is about 500ml short of the neck, so I want to top it up with about 500ml of sugar solution.
What is the correct S.G. of the sugar solution to add, without affecting the gravity calculation from the O.G.?

A few times in the past when I've done this, I thought it was correct to add sugar solution that matches the current S.G. of the wine (1.010 is about 35g/l of sugar)
Recently, I've had pause to re-think and reasoned that the wine has already fermented from 1.090 down to 1.010, so already has about 10.5% alcohol. That means, I should have added a sugar solution that matches the O.G. (1.090 is about 245g/l of sugar).
Then I've thought again that maybe I should add a sugar solution that is the difference between 1.090 and 1.010 i.e. 1.080 (about 218g/l).

Can someone explain what is the correct approach?

Last edited:
If you're looking to keep your ABV constant, add a solution equal to your OG. But, be aware that while your ABV will be unchanged, your wine flavor and body will be reduced. By how much? Does it matter?

If you're looking to keep your ABV constant, add a solution equal to your OG. But, be aware that while your ABV will be unchanged, your wine flavor and body will be reduced. By how much? Does it matter?
Thanks a lot for responding, DBhomebrew. You've given me the answer I was leaning towards. Thanks for confirming.

Why would adding sugar not increase ABV? If it was added before fermenting it would have added to the OG.

Latest posts

Back