S-04 for Belgian Dobbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I just bought all my grains and hops for my recipe but I forgot the yeast of course.

8.5 lbs belgian pale
1.0 lbs belgian style B
1.0 lbs crystal 120L
.5 lbs american wheat

4 AA Northern Brewer
4 AA Willamette

I have a packet of S-04 that I have been itching to use. I also have a SMaSH that needs to go to secondary; resulting in a nice yeast cake of Nottingham.

So what do you think? Should I just go get a belgian yeast or use the S-04 or Nottingham?

Thanks!

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think for belgians you really need the right yeast... they give off the special flavors, kinda fruity as I recall. If you don't do it w/ the belgian yeast strains, it will still make beer, but it won't taste like a belgian dubbel.. Up to you...

flyangler18

Reaction score
For Belgian beers, the yeast is probably the single most important contributor to the flavor profile. Spicy phenolics and fruity esters. You need a Belgian yeast, there's no way out of it. ;)

Freezeblade

Reaction score
Belgian grain bills are really carrier vehicles for the wonderful Belgian yeast, you really do need them to make a Belgian beer. Belgian Grains, a Belgian does not make.

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of knew but I wanted to hear it from you guys I guess...damnit.

Now which belgian yeast should I use?

PseudoChef

Reaction score
2 pounds of that dark of crystal is going to make such a sweet beer, I would honestly try to tweak your recipe before you brew. I would drop the 120L completely and cut the Special back to around half a pound. Wayyy too much going on there.

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so the dark grains are at the bottom of the bag. You can definitely see the break between grains. I can cut the bottom of the bag and pull some of the dark stuff out and replace with...? So, besides that I am really looking foward to my second AG batch and I'm going with the Belgian theme....buzz on:)

Did I mention my mother was a 16 yr old french prostitute named Cloe with webbed feet?

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen one, but I know he's out there...making me look bad ;)

The name "Dobbel" made me think of doppleganger...maybe "dobbelganger", eh? That's a stretch of words :D

ericd

Reaction score
I like WLP 575 myself and I follow the manufacturers directions (imagine that) and only bother with a starter if the OG is > 1.07.

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2 pounds of that dark of crystal is going to make such a sweet beer, I would honestly try to tweak your recipe before you brew. I would drop the 120L completely and cut the Special back to around half a pound. Wayyy too much going on there.

Anyone else agree with this?

john from dc

Reaction score
i also don't see any sugar in there. most dubbels have some simple sugar (candi, table, corn) added to dry out the beer and thin out the body a little. you definitely don't want this to be too sweet.

OP
HoppyDaze

HoppyDaze

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I may have screwed the recipe up. It is from one of the clone brew books. I will double check it and maybe some of you kind people can help me tweak it a bit based on the grain I already have.

I did decide to go with the 1214 since that is what the recipe calls for.