S-04 for Belgian Dobbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
Well I just bought all my grains and hops for my recipe but I forgot the yeast of course.

8.5 lbs belgian pale
1.0 lbs belgian style B
1.0 lbs crystal 120L
.5 lbs american wheat

4 AA Northern Brewer
4 AA Willamette

I have a packet of S-04 that I have been itching to use. I also have a SMaSH that needs to go to secondary; resulting in a nice yeast cake of Nottingham.

So what do you think? Should I just go get a belgian yeast or use the S-04 or Nottingham?

Thanks!

I think for belgians you really need the right yeast... they give off the special flavors, kinda fruity as I recall. If you don't do it w/ the belgian yeast strains, it will still make beer, but it won't taste like a belgian dubbel.. Up to you...

For Belgian beers, the yeast is probably the single most important contributor to the flavor profile. Spicy phenolics and fruity esters. You need a Belgian yeast, there's no way out of it. ;)

Belgian grain bills are really carrier vehicles for the wonderful Belgian yeast, you really do need them to make a Belgian beer. Belgian Grains, a Belgian does not make.

I kind of knew but I wanted to hear it from you guys I guess...damnit.

Now which belgian yeast should I use?

2 pounds of that dark of crystal is going to make such a sweet beer, I would honestly try to tweak your recipe before you brew. I would drop the 120L completely and cut the Special back to around half a pound. Wayyy too much going on there.

OK so the dark grains are at the bottom of the bag. You can definitely see the break between grains. I can cut the bottom of the bag and pull some of the dark stuff out and replace with...? So, besides that I am really looking foward to my second AG batch and I'm going with the Belgian theme....buzz on:)

Did I mention my mother was a 16 yr old french prostitute named Cloe with webbed feet?

I've never seen one, but I know he's out there...making me look bad ;)

The name "Dobbel" made me think of doppleganger...maybe "dobbelganger", eh? That's a stretch of words :D

I like WLP 575 myself and I follow the manufacturers directions (imagine that) and only bother with a starter if the OG is > 1.07.

2 pounds of that dark of crystal is going to make such a sweet beer, I would honestly try to tweak your recipe before you brew. I would drop the 120L completely and cut the Special back to around half a pound. Wayyy too much going on there.

Anyone else agree with this?

i also don't see any sugar in there. most dubbels have some simple sugar (candi, table, corn) added to dry out the beer and thin out the body a little. you definitely don't want this to be too sweet.

I may have screwed the recipe up. It is from one of the clone brew books. I will double check it and maybe some of you kind people can help me tweak it a bit based on the grain I already have.

I did decide to go with the 1214 since that is what the recipe calls for.

Back