S-04 for an Alt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At those temps I'd go for something cleaner, 04 might get a lil funky in the 70s. I make Alts with either German Ale or Kolsch yeast, both very clean and need low temps. Maybe something like 05 would be a bit cleaner in the 70's, but that's kinda warm to ferment most ales. Do you have the ability to set up a basic swamp cooler? You can pretty much use whatever yeast you want if you can set one up. Check out the link, it's easy and cheap.

I could do the ice water/tub thing I guess. More less wondering if the flavor and flocculating profile of the S-04 would be ok. I'm too dumb to know if German and European is the same thing.

I could do the ice water/tub thing I guess. More less wondering if the flavor and flocculating profile of the S-04 would be ok. I'm too dumb to know if German and European is the same thing.

No, 04 probably won't give you the flavor profile you're going for in an Alt. English yeasts are pretty different from continental European yeasts. 05 would be clean enough, but keep it in the mid 60s if you want it really clean. The Wyeast German Ale (1007) will make a really nice alt, it's really clean in the mid 60s.

Back