Rye Whiskey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Some time back we went to an open house at Ranger Creek, a very small brewery/distillery. They offered 3 drink tickets, and one could be for a whiskey, which is what I did as I had seen they offered their new .44 Caliber rye bourbon. I found I really loved it.

So far Ranger Creek has been my favorite followed by Wild Turkey. I've also had Bulleit and Knob Hill. But I bought a bottle of something I haven't seen, which is Jefferson's straight rye whiskey aged 10 years and 94 proof. Anyone tried this?

Can anyone recommend another rye whiskey that's fairly forward with the rye flavor?

This is a little off topic because I don't drink hard liquor but the brew-stillery happens to be down the road from where I live. If you need me to pick you up anything from there PM me and we can work something out. I helped bottle their Rimfire about a month ago. I also helped bottle their OPA last Thursday on the 17th of July.

Awesome! I had always wanted to go and help on bottling day but just never made it over there.

And I certainly appreciate the offer, but I asked my local liquor store about it and he said he'd be more than happy to order it for me (he stocks the Rimfire and .36 Caliber).

I certainly love their oatmeal pale too, as well as Small Batch #8, the British barley wine.

So I decided to pour a drink…

It's not as flavorful as I had hoped, but it is quite smooth. It's not dissimilar to Bulleit or Knob Hill's rye.

Back