Rye vs Bourbon vs Wheated bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McUbermensch

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with different types of bourbon when aging beers? Does the difference come through in the final product?

Any help here is much appreciated. I'm going to be brewing porter that I plan on aging but I haven't decided what bourbon to use.

My options are High West Double Rye, Bookers, and Weller 90...

Edited title.

Obviously your looking for homebrewing examples, which I dont have,
but commercially you can tell difference of rye vs bourbon.

you get the spicyness of rye which works really well IMO with big stouts/porters.
Its not a HUGE difference, but its definitely there.

never had a wheated bourbon barrel aged beer....I dont think.

But I think any of those you choose should be great. Just depends on what your looking for and what you prefer.
Personally i think a rye barrel would be great.

I am leaning toward the Weller since I can't recall ever having a beer aged in a wheated bourbon barrel. I am toying with the idea of splitting the batch three ways and using all three to see if there's any noticeable difference.

Are you filling the barrel as part of a club/group? Asking as I've never heard of the big KY distilleries using anything but 53's, other than maybe odd-ball experiments. That's pretty neat to have access to barrels from weller etc. nonetheless.

Are you filling the barrel as part of a club/group? Asking as I've never heard of the big KY distilleries using anything but 53's, other than maybe odd-ball experiments. That's pretty neat to have access to barrels from weller etc. nonetheless.

No, these are just my options for soaking some medium toasted oak cubes. Sorry for any confusion.

I do have a freshly emptied Four Roses barrel that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. There isnt a homebrew club near me to collaborate with though.

I made a Rye Farmhouse Ale and aged it in a fresh 10 gal rye barrel. The alcohol was too strong initially, but mellowed nicely after about 7 weeks. Otherwise I would stick with the heavier styles.

I soaked spirals in Old Forester. Added 575ml to 5 gallons of Imp stout. It does come through, but it is more of a player in the beer. I think it would be a waste of top shelf myself. An empty Four Roses barrel. That is awesome, I would brew like crazy and fill that bad boy with Imp Stout!!

I soaked spirals in Old Forester. Added 575ml to 5 gallons of Imp stout. It does come through, but it is more of a player in the beer. I think it would be a waste of top shelf myself. An empty Four Roses barrel. That is awesome, I would brew like crazy and fill that bad boy with Imp Stout!!

Funny you mention Old Forester because that was the bourbon I used on my first attempt at aging a beer with bourbon. That porter turned out great.

I guess the experimenter in me just wants to try always try new things.

Back