Can I do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Reaction score
My Christmas beer is fermenting right now. (At least a month later than I wanted to get it going. ) It's a Scotch Ale type thing that I'm going to add oak chips and some bourbon to.

I haven't got a good second fermenter yet, so I was thinking about adding the bourbon soaked oak cubes to primary as fermentation is slowing down and leaving the beer in there for about a month. If it doesn't have enough of those flavors by then, I figured I would cheat a little and add a little more bourbon to the bottling bucket on bottling day.

I know the best way is to age with the wood in a secondary fermenter till it tastes right, and that some believe this can take quite a while. I promise I'll try that on the next one. I'm just asking, is my plan for this one completely stupid? Will adding the bourbon and cubes screw up the end of primary fermentation? If it matters, this is 2 oz. cubes soaking in 8 oz. of bourbon, going into five gallons. (Hoping to yield 4.5 gallons of finished product. )

Any insights appreciated.

Back