Rye pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think of grain bill, I have 6 ounces of crystal hops to use up so going to use all of them in this brew.
20190313_110403.jpeg

I would thing 25% rye would give enough body that you don't need the carapils. You could simplify the grain bill by using a pale ale malt in place of the 2row and Vienna and victory.

edit: When I first looked at the recipe I thought it was good as is, seem like what you have would work if you already have the grain.

Last edited:
I would thing 25% rye would give enough body that you don't need the carapils. You could simplify the grain bill by using a pale ale malt in place of the 2row and Vienna and victory.
Yea I was thinking the carapils wouldnt be needed but wasnt sure, and yes simple is always better in my opinion lol thanks for the feedback

Frankly the recipe looks a little too busy.
I use rye quite a lot. It has a bite to it that I enjoy, but different people seem to have a different tolerance for its intensity.
For that style, here's what I use:
80 % 2-row
17% Rye
3% Crystal 80

You'll also need rice hulls with Rye malt.

I consider abbey/aromatic biscuit and victory malts about the same and interchangeable as I don't really notice much difference between them. I think I have seen people comment that abbey/aromatic can add a dryness to beer, not sure if victory behaves the same but if so it might reduce the perception of body a bit. Not sure if 2% is enough to have impact though.

I love the way all of those malts smell when I mill them.

Frankly the recipe looks a little too busy.
I use rye quite a lot. It has a bite to it that I enjoy, but different people seem to have a different tolerance for its intensity.
For that style, here's what I use:
80 % 2-row
17% Rye
3% Crystal 80

You'll also need rice hulls with Rye malt.
Yea it does was reading different recipes and putting something together brewing this in about 2 weeks. I could sub pale malt for 2 row, I also saw that Ruthless Rye adds as little chocolate malt in there

Yea it does was reading different recipes and putting something together brewing this in about 2 weeks. I could sub pale malt for 2 row, I also saw that Ruthless Rye adds as little chocolate malt in there

I've seen that done, but my taste preference is not to have chocolate competing with the rye malt. If you want it darker, you could simply add finely crushed black malt to the boil.

Flaked Rye or Malted Rye? Which is better to use?

I’ve never used rye in anything before. But I think that the malted rye would contribute more rye flavor than the flaked. Not sure if the diastatic power of rye malt would be enough to convert any flaked adjuncts. You could plug it into your calculator and check though.

FWIW if I were brewing “rye” anything I would try and make the majority of the grain bill rye. And use any specialty grains that would compliment the rye. Good luck!

I've used up to 50% Rye malt and I like it. Remember to add some oat/rice husks to the mash.

Your recipe looks busy, that I agree with the others. Only keep the Pale, Rye and Vienna malts. It will make for a much cleaner, better and focused beer. Something like 50% Pale + 30% Rye + 20% Vienna will definitely yield a great beer, with bready and slightly toasty/biscuitty notes from the Vienna and Pale. I would go for more Rye. People and all the old threads found on the Internet, call Rye as spicy and all people believe Rye is spicy. Rye is not spicy, but more of an earthy flavour. But you do need a simple grainbill to understand what Rye tastes like and if you like it.

I've used up to 50% Rye malt and I like it. Remember to add some oat/rice husks to the mash.

Do this!
First rye I brewed in a bag and the rye produces a sticky/slimy running.
My efficiency suffered and I think hulls would have helped.
Hot, generous sparge would help too.

Flaked rye is a bit more spicey than malted rye. I like to use both in my rye beers. Also, I switched to electric BIAB and when recirculating with rye or lots of oats, I definitely suggest rice hulls even though many BIABers say its not needed. No it's not but it's so much easier to work with and recirc.

Yea I do full batch no sparge, maybe I will use some hulls so it drains nice

Why not just go with an even 2# rye for simplicity?
That's what I do when formulating a recipe, which makes it very simple. I use quarter pound increments unless the malt is strictly for color like black malt in an Amber or brown ale. I just found it quite tedious for measuring an amount that would be too minute to be perceived by my blue collar palate.

I will brew my very first ale using rye (flaked) malt in a couple of weeks. If I like it I will try the crystal rye next!

I've never seem rye malt with 38 GU's per gal. My recipes use 29 GU's. If your efficiencies are taking a hit when using rye change that and you'll be good. Was at Proximity Malt in Milwaukee the other day and Dave had a new malt sample he is working on, Crystal Rye and it is Delicious, just kegged a rye pa, and have to weight a while but really looking forward to brewing with the Crystal Rye, and only 20 min drive! I would completely ditch the C-60.

Back