Rye IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcop

Reaction score
Im planning on brewing this next Saturday. I've never used rye malt before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9# 2 Row
4# Rye Malt
8oz Crystal 80L
2oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Bravo 14% AA (30min)
1oz Chinook 12% AA (15min)
1oz Cascade 4.4% AA (1min)

1056 starter

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.017
60.8 IBU

Cheers.

Make sure your rye is crushed well, ie: if you normally crush your base grains at a particular mill setting, the setting for your rollers will need to be quite a bit closer for two reasons. 1) Rye is a smaller grain 2) it doesn't have husks so the crush should be finer than say for some 2-row. Also as niquejim pointed out, it wouldn't hurt to have some rice hulls to make sure you don't get a stuck sparge, but as I am sure some will point out that is a very subjective decision and you will get a wide range of suggestions.

other than that looks good:)

have fun

Thanks for the input! How much rice hulls would you use? How do you calculate ratio for the hulls? I did read that you need to crush it smaller. Can I just run it through twice on my mill? Thanks again for your input.
Cheers.

I'd also recommend mashing 149-150. The rye is going to add a lot of body and mouthfeel. Are you dry hopping?

For a similar amount of rye or wheat, I've used 1/2 lb of rice hulls... I'm batch sparging in a Coleman cooler with a braided hose, and I haven't had a problem. How did I pick 1/2 pound? It was a 1 pound bag I bought at the lhbs and it looked about right. I had no problems with 5 lbs and 6 lbs of rye and wheat, respectively...

Im planning on brewing this next Saturday. I've never used rye malt before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9# 2 Row
4# Rye Malt
8oz Crystal 80L
2oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Bravo 14% AA (30min)

1056 starter

60.8 IBU

Cheers.

I take it you have compared your recipe with Denny's wry smile rye IPA (see below)? That recipe is a knock out so it might be worth taking a look at proportions of rye.

I use about 1lb of rice hulls when I brew Denny's wry for an 11g batch, so 1/2 a lob should be sufficient for a 5G batch

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.69 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 18.46 %
1.25 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.08 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.08 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 39.3 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (FWH) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (Flameout) Hops 1.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

For my heavily hopped IPAs I prefer a heavier body and a slight sweet to compete with the hops and the rye spice. I would mash in the 154F range to get there. I don't personally enjoy heavily hopped and bone dry IPA's as much.

9# 2 Row
4# Rye Malt
8oz Crystal 80L
2oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Bravo 14% AA (30min)

1056 starter

60.8 IBU

Cheers.

Your malt bill looks good.

Hops suggest more late hopping and more cascade some at 10 mins some at 3 mins. say 2 oz at 10 and 2 oz at 3 mins. 2 oz for dry hopping also. this is an IPA so hop it right.

1056 just ferment it at 62-4 F. no warmer.

Mash temp 154. Mash longer go 90 mins. Batch sparge 3x.

Oh and screw the hulls. Man up and risk the stuck sparge that won't happen with your grain bill anyway. If it does you need to modify your system. But seriously if hulls are your thing mix them in. They add something even if it is a little something. I always figure it will be something I won't like plus it's a cop out.

:mug:

My best rye ale has nearly 50% rye, and I've never needed to use rice hulls. The sparge is noticeably slower for this beer than most others, but nothing unmanageable.
This recipe looks nice, give it a try, and tweak it to taste and let us know how it comes out!

i just brewed this a few weeks ago and tasted it when i went to secondary i want to add more rye malt to it.

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 8lb 0oz 59.3 % 2.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Rye Malt 4lb 0oz 29.6 % 2.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 1lb 0oz 7.4 % 6.7 In Mash/Steeped
Briess Carapils 8.00 oz 3.7 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Galena 13.0 % 1.00 oz 37.8 Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Galena 13.0 % 1.00 oz 22.9 Bagged Pellet Hops 20 Min From End
US Golding 4.7 % 1.00 oz 6.8 Bagged Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
East Kent Goldings 4.5 % 1.00 oz 2.6 Bagged Pellet Hops 5 Min From End

My best rye ale has nearly 50% rye, and I've never needed to use rice hulls. The sparge is noticeably slower for this beer than most others, but nothing unmanageable.
This recipe looks nice, give it a try, and tweak it to taste and let us know how it comes out!

agree. Never needed to, but prefer it because hulls are cheap and they help with some aspects of how I brew. I use pumps, vourlauf, and recirculate (A few hulls can make a big difference with no notable affect on the beer otherwise IME).

I have done rye or heavily loaded wheat recipes without the hulls as well and the sparge will be slower and it isn't the end of the world.

Though if you use pumps or depending on your set up and how you brew will determine the advantage of using hulls. i.e. If you use a gott cooler and a bazooka, I would recc the hulls. If you use a full sized false bottom I would say your probably fine.

Here is the rye IIPA I do a lot:

10 Gallon Batch (I split it in two 5 gallon batches and try different things with each). RO water with 10gm of gypsum and 1gm of CaCl added.

18lbs of 2Row
4.5lbs of Munich
1lb of C40
1lb Carapils
3lb of Rye
1lb Corn Sugar

Mash at 152 for 90 mins.

Boil hops:
2oz Apollo @ FW
3oz simcoe @ 20
3oz Centenniel @ 10
3oz Columbus @ 5
3oz Simcoe @ Flameout
2oz Cascade @ Flameout

Dry hops: (each 5 gal)
2oz Centenniel @ day 7
1oz of Cascade @ Day 7
2oz of Nelson @ Day 10
2Oz of Simcoe @ day 14

1600ml White Labs Cal ale yeast starter

Wow! I have a ton of input here. First I want to say thanks for the experience. My setup is a 10gal Rubbermaid Cooler with stainless steel braid. I came up with this recipe based on Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I looked on the website and made a recipe based on that. Denny's looks great too. I will dry hop with 2oz of cascade. I know they use Citra and experimental hops but I really don't care for Citra. I'm not trying to make a clone either. Just using some guidelines to create my own recipe. I like Mashing around 154 to help with the spice of the rye while having some sweetness to balance. I might just use a 1/2# of rice hulls for a piece of mind. I've never had a stuck Sparge yet do that could be my insurance since I've never used rye before.

Thanks for everyone's input and I will report back when this brew is ready.

Cheers

UPDATE: I had to modify my hops cause my lhbs didnt have the Bravo that i wanted so here is what I actually did.

9# 2 Row
4# Rye
8oz Crystal 80L
2oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Rice Hulls

2oz Magnum 11.6% AA (see below)
2oz Chinook 11.7% AA (see below)
1oz Citra 11.4% AA (see below)
1T Irish Moss

1oz Citra 11.4% AA (DH)
1oz Cascade 6.4% AA (DH)

1056 1.7L Starter

Mashed at 152*F for 75mins
Batched Sparged
Yield: 7.25gals
Boiled 90 mins

Hop Schedule: I decided to add the hops throughout the boil. So I took the Magnum and Chinook and add them every 3 mins during the boil starting at 60mins. So that equates to 2.8 grams of each every 3 mins. At the 15 min mark I added the Citra to it in increments of 5.6 grams per addition. I will dry hop with 2 weeks left before bottling.

OG:1.080
Yield: 5gals
Pitched Yeast at 61*F

As for the rice hulls, I dont think I will use them again. I had no problems with the sparge. I actually think it went faster than normal but that could just be me paying more attention this time around. I did get the best efficiency ive ever got to date at 88.96% which Im very excited about :rockin: I dont know if the hulls had anything to do with that? Thanks for the input, I just thought I would post with what I actually did.

Cheers

Back