Rye help....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing my first batch this weekend that includes rye. I am using the same grain bill as the Raging Red Irish Ale by Mysticmead in the recipe section of HBT, except I'm adding rye. I would like to add both flaked and malted rye, as I've read it gives a great rye flavor. Below are the percentages of what I plan on using. For anyone that's brewed with rye before, what are your thoughts? Too much, not enough...etc? Thanks for the help!!

65% Pale Malt (2 Row) US

10% Caraaroma

10% Flaked Rye

7% Malted Rye

4% Carafoam

4% Melanoiden Malt

RICE HULLS AS WELL

I am planning on using a single-infusion mash at 153 for 60 min with a two step batch sparge at 170.

Tim

I think it's too much cara- malts, and not enough rye. I like 20-25% rye for it to be discernible and to the forefront a bit more.

I'd go with no more than 10% cara- malt total, unless you wanted to do something like a red rye. I'd ditch the carafoam, since it's not needed (you'll get crazy body and head retention with the rye).

I have never used flaked rye but, I agree with Yooper. More rye. Also that you will get good body and head retention from the rye. I love a good rye! Need to put another one in the rotation!

I think it's too much cara- malts, and not enough rye. I like 20-25% rye for it to be discernible and to the forefront a bit more.

I'd go with no more than 10% cara- malt total, unless you wanted to do something like a red rye. I'd ditch the carafoam, since it's not needed (you'll get crazy body and head retention with the rye).

I am planning on brewing a red rye so that's why the caraaroma is in there. I will take out the caraform then since the rye will get me the head retention I need and up the rye amounts then.

Would you keep it as a single-infusion mash with 20-25% rye or would a protein rest be needed? I haven't done a double-infusion before but would be willing to if needed. Thanks for the advice

Tim

^^^ This! ^^^

You don't need a protein rest.

Unless you frequently have a stuck sparge you could omit the rice hulls. 10-15% flaked shouldn't cause a problem. For the couple times I've used it there was no issue. That said I also just tossed the flaked rye directly into the mash tun, no special processing or treatment.

Unless you frequently have a stuck sparge you could omit the rice hulls. 10-15% flaked shouldn't cause a problem. For the couple times I've used it there was no issue. That said I also just tossed the flaked rye directly into the mash tun, no special processing or treatment.

True, but if you should decide to use any more than that, then rice hulls would be helpful. At least half a pound for 5 gallons, or a full pound if you use more than like 30% rye.

Here are my updated percentages for the Red Rye Ale:

65% Pale Malt (2 Row) US

10% Caraaroma

13% Flaked Rye

12% Malted Rye

I want this to be somewhat "red" so I'm keeping the caraaroma in. Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

Tim

This would be my advice as well.

Here are my updated percentages for the Red Rye Ale:

65% Pale Malt (2 Row) US

10% Caraaroma

13% Flaked Rye

12% Malted Rye

I want this to be somewhat "red" so I'm keeping the caraaroma in. Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

Tim

Only other advice, would be to use some rice hulls if you easily get a stuck mash. With my current set up, I don't need to use them, but Rye can get really sticky.

To deepen the color, add two or three oz of Midnight Wheat. No flavor change - no real change at all to anything other than color.

Latest posts

Back