RWS from slant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I've been doing strictly No Chill for a while now and overall love it. The one thing that continues to drive me crazy is finding a good routine for using a RWS with my slanted yeast. I've read all over the place about stepping up slants, but what would be the negative results of just starting with say a 1L starter right off the bat?

I'm no expert on yeast health, so I've always just deferred to the experts. My understanding is that such a small amount of yeast would be overwhelmed (and stressed) by the reproduction that would be needed for such a large volume by such a tiny amount of yeast.

A couple of things I do (I don't do no-chill) to use RWS since it's so much cheaper is just freeze any extra wort that I have. I'll boil it on the stove first, before freezing it. I can either add water to get me to 1.040, or boil longer, if the wort isn't already in the 1.040 range. Some of my wort is in the 1.050 preboil range, so it's just a matter of boiling it for 15 minutes and adding water. I freeze it in small quart pitchers or containers, then when I want to make a starter I just thaw and boil it in my flask for a few minutes.

I have even done a small mash just for starter wort, filling four containers after I boiled the wort.

I always have volcano problems when I try to boil in my flask. I have some fermcap on the way so hopefully that will solve the problem. I'm thinking I can pull the wort from the kettle into the smaller flask to get it started, and also pull some into my 2L one and put that in the fridge until I'm ready for it. Then just boil that before stepping up into it.

Should work right?

Back