ruined strawberry blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdupree

Reaction score
I made a great blonde ale 5 gallon batch. Wanted a strawberry blonde so I bought a 1oz bottle of strawberry extract at walmart. Added it to the secondary then kegged and force carbed. It has a great smell, great initial taste, but aftertaste is like ass. The aftertaste is pretty much a lightly sour/bitter, rubber taste. Stay away from cheap extract or just use real fruit. I'm a warrior so it's not gonna get wasted.

That is exactly why I don't like using fruit extracts in beer. Even the "good" ones taste funny to me. Some people seem to have trouble tasting that flavor, though. Even BJCP judges....

I always use fresh and/or frozen fruit.

This is why I always try to encourage people to stay away from extracts. Even the stuff most homebrew shops sell is crap. The only two extract flavors that taste AND smell close enough to the real deal to bother with are raspberry and peach.

Most of the extracts either smell like the fruit or taste like it, but not both. And as you said, they have aftertastes.

I use strictly fresh fruit now. Regardless of price.

Cherry extract is OK, but use it lightly.

I like blueberry extract. It actually tastes like blueberries when mixed with beer. In the bottle, it smells like ink though.

Cherry extract is OK, but use it lightly.

I like blueberry extract. It actually tastes like blueberries when mixed with beer. In the bottle, it smells like ink though.

I've tried the cherry, and you're right. If used in small amounts, it tastes fine. But, if you use too much, it'll taste like cough syrup. Still no match for the real deal though.

Latest posts

Back