Rubber Washer in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
Hi, I built a mashtun more or less the same as the one featured in FlyGuy's guide. I wasn't able to get it watertight until I used a rubber fender washer behind a metal one. Will that be okay, in terms of both flavor and chemical leaching, for the beer? I haven't tested it with hot water yet, but I plan to try that tomorrow morning.

I did see a neoprene washer, but I've heard those can contain a large amount of lead. I'm using brass fittings, though, so I guess I'm already at risk for neurological dammage. :drunk:

I was having the same problem with the stainless steel washer. That metal on metal connection just doesn't keep the water out. I ended up using a nylon washer I found at ACE hardware and that did the trick for me.

U should try silicone washer which work well for me. I bought it in the garden section normally used for hose.

So is the consensus I should swap it out? That's a pain, since it was the first thing to get the thing watertight. :(

But I guess it beats it springing a leak mid-mash or tasting of rubber.

Well, I found some rubber washers for hoses that fit. I don't know how they'll stand up to hot water, but at least I know they're meant for potable water. I think they were meant for laundry machine hoses, so I think they should be good for hot water. I'm doing my first all-grain tomorrow if all goes well (Edwort's Haus Pale ale btw)! I'll let you know if these are good.

Back