Rouge Dead guy Ale Clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splat

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wanted to say that my second batch is in the fermenter....After a few hours I was getting bubbles in the airlock, and after a day I get a bubble every 2-3 seconds. OG was 1.060. Anyone made this one before? Im pumped to see how close to the "real" one it is...I will let you know. Anyone interested in the recipe? Im at work right now and dont have it, but if you want it I will post it.

Lets have a look. Dead guy is one of my favorites. If you buy the 22oz bottle, the label glows in the dark.

What kind of recipe is it? AG? Extract? I would like it if is extract or mini-mash.....something I could do fairly easily.....

Thanks

Chad

Its an extract with steeping grains....Ill post it tonight when I get home from work.

Are you talking about the Austin Home Brew version of the Dead Guy? If so, it is incredible. I had a couple friends try it side by side with the real version. Mine was clearer and tasted better. That keg only lasted about 2.5 weeks, and I drank most of it :tank:

Well, I've never had AHS version. I've only had my clone (which I'm drinking now, as a matter of fact), so I'd be interested in seeing other recipes.

Ok boys, Here is the recipe I used, but then help me with my problem...

13oz Cara-Munich Malt
13oz Munich Malt
7oz Crystal Malt
4lb pale extract
4lb amber extract
1oz perle hops(60 min)
1/2 oz perle hops(15min)
1/2oz saaz hops(15min)
1 tsp Irish Moss(30 min)
2 tsp Gypsum(30min)....
California Ale yeast(white labs)

Ok, so here is my problem....It started fermenting really quick, then after a day it was bubbling every 2-3 secs..I was happy. But today I come home from work and there is a small amount of beer in the airlock, and a little on top of the bucket...I had about 3-4 inches of room in the bucket(head space) I assume that it was foam built up and I didnt have a blow off tube.... But NOW its not bubbling that much...Should I be worried, or just relax and have a beer?

Well, heres the recipe I posted almost a year ago: (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25902)

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

so, it looks like my recipe except for some very minimal changes in the hops.

Relax, and put on a clean airlock.

Is it OK to just pull the airlock off, clean it real fast and put it back on?

Well THe good news is I cleaned the airlock, and put it back on and she is still bubbling...Pretty fast. Bad news is I dont have a blow off tube so i will just have to hope it doesnt happen again...thanks for the help...Wish I had some beer done so I could relax and have a home brew...HURRY UP BEER!!!!

I just made a dead guy ale clone with a recipe I picked up from my LHBS. It's in secondary now so I'm not sure how accurate it will be but I've heard good things and it looks right color wise. The ingredients list follows:

8 lb. Alexander’s Pale liquid malt extract
1 lb. Gambrinus Honey malt (crushed)
1 lb. Muntons Carapils malt (crushed)
1 oz. Galena hop pellets + 1 oz. Perle hop pellets (bittering)
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets (flavor)
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets (aroma)
1 Wyeast 1056 American ale

Back